JD6230 vs NHt6020 and new vs used

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a tractor and I would like some opinions on these two models and which method of purchasing you think is preferable. These two are comparable in ability, and not too far off in price from each other. The tractor needs to be multi-dimensional and powerful enough to pull a round baler, a square baler with a kuhns accumulator behind it, do some disc work, and pull a 15 ft bat-wing bushhog.
Brand new I could get 0% financing and the warranty (plus that brand new smell!). Obviously a used tractor means someone else has taken on the initial depreciation in value, so I save there, but I wouldn't have 0%, and probably no warranty depending on the age of the tractor. I do have a green dealer and blue dealer locally which have good reputations.
So, if it were you, which tractor would buy, and how would you buy it?

One thing to think about between new and used is the bonus depreciation, I believe my tax man said it was still in effect this year.

I can't imagine looking at a blue tractor in my barn, and then making payments on it?? To me the NH 6 series and larger are ugly looking tractors. I have always bought used equipment. How about lease returns, here they sell them with the same financing and warranty as a new tractor.

One thing I always look at the end. What can I sell the easiest and for the most money. IMO Deere's resale is hard to beat. If you only run it a few years then trade off buy the Deere. As far as new or used if you look long enough there are some deals on low hour tractors out there. I usually look around on craigslist and tractorhouse pretty regular.

Thanks for the ideas! I had not considered the resale difference between the two. That's a good point. JD does have a better looking tractor IMO, but the NH has a tough look as well. I'm not familiar with "bonus depreciation", but I will ask my tax guy about it.

Don't no about the 6020 but the 6030 will make a round baler hum.Will pull a 12 ft. disk and never break a break a sweat. Wish it would turn a little shorter.

LittleValleyFarm":g7rlrp4t said:
Thanks for the ideas! I had not considered the resale difference between the two. That's a good point. JD does have a better looking tractor IMO, but the NH has a tough look as well. I'm not familiar with "bonus depreciation", but I will ask my tax guy about it.
Bonus depreciation gives you more to take off your taxes, seen cases where someone was buying equipment that was used and not much cheaper than new. The extra depreciaiton would have saved them the price difference between new and used. It all depends on what your looking at and your tax situation.

If the 6430 is not many more dollars, I would get it as it is physically the same size as the 6230 and has more hp. If you are putting out rolls in winter don't forget the 4X4.

I have considered a lease return, but the dealer says he only has the 6230 coming back right now, not a 64. There will be some winter work, specifically feeding round bails, so 4x4 is a must. NC may not see the snow you Midwestern and Canadian guys see, but it stills shows up enough that I would have some hungry cows without 4x4!

Cabo":340591q4 said:
If the 6430 is not many more dollars, I would get it as it is physically the same size as the 6230 and has more hp. If you are putting out rolls in winter don't forget the 4X4.
don't see how you think it is the same size or bigger when the NH will outweigh it by 2000 lbs and has 110hp instead or 95 some people just cant see past the green
the 6230 is in the same category as a T50 series NH and the 7 series JD is equivalent to the T60 series NH

Angus Cowman":tbs6ypll said:
Cabo":tbs6ypll said:
don't see how you think it is the same size or bigger when the NH will outweigh it by 2000 lbs and has 110hp instead or 95 some people just cant see past the green
the 6230 is in the same category as a T50 series NH and the 7 series JD is equivalent to the T60 series NH

Actually the JD 6430 has 120hp at the engine vs the NH 110 at the engine, but I agree with you on the weight.

I was only comparing the 6230 with the 6430. I don't want a tractor that most of it is made in Italy.

Why not Kubota? Their resale is as good as JD, and they are a very good tractor. Price is better than JD.

Angus Cowman":qtotpfzl said:
surely you don't think the JD is made in the U.S.A.
The JD is made in Germany, they know how to make steel. Wish it was made in the US, soon we will only be able to produce what we flush down the comode.

High Cotton":2xw3q963 said:
One thing I always look at the end. What can I sell the easiest and for the most money. IMO Deere's resale is hard to beat. If you only run it a few years then trade off buy the Deere. As far as new or used if you look long enough there are some deals on low hour tractors out there. I usually look around on craigslist and tractorhouse pretty regular.

You and I can agree on that right there High Cotton.

We had a 6430 out for demo. Nice tractor had fuel problems would just shut down while pulling and then run like crap. Salesman and mechanic was out 3 times never did fix it. Was burning 12 gallon of fuel per hour according to the computer. T6030 burns away less fuel does the same job easier.

Latest posts