JD 6410, 6420, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
A family member is considering getting another tractor and seems interested in the JD 6410, 6420, 6430 line - or something thereabouts. I'd like to keep it pre-emissions and relatively simple, so anything newer doesn't really hold much interest from the mechanic's (me) point of view. Anyone here have one of those models, or had any experience with them? Weak points? How do you like the Power Quad if so equipped?

Also have been considering one of the 5101E or similar models, love the simplicity but they might be a little lightweight in comparison.

Thanks.

In the past twenty years we have had three 6000 tractors. 6310,6320,6330 (currently) they have all been MFWD with left hand reverses, open station, and loaders.
They are bull dozers on tires. We've never had any major problems with any of them. We had to replace the pto switch twice on the 6310. The other things have all been normal wear.
We also have a 7410 with a quad range 9000 +hrs no issues with the tranny ever.

Thanks. How many hours did you put on the 6310 and 6320 before trading them off?

I see a lot of these tractors for sale with right around 5k hours, and then another group in the 8k to 9k range. Have you seen any issues that commonly pop up in the 5k range?

We usually trade around that 5k mark. No issues. Back when we had the 6310, 6320. We were putting about 100hrs a month on them. Hauling rnd bales, cleaning & bedding barns, raking hay, unloading silage, pushing out trees, and building fence were all weekly tasks for that tractor depending on the time of year.
We would trade at 5k so we got the most out of our trade in, and weren't depending on a high hour tractor.
Now that 7410 has a ldr on it also, so we don't put near the hrs a month on our 6330.
I do think if you can find a 10,20 series tractor with low hrs they were built better with more standard options than the 30 series. Like everything the newer ones cost more and are cheaper made than what they replace.

cfpinz said:
Anyone here have one of those models, or had any experience with them? Weak points? How do you like the Power Quad if so equipped?

Also have been considering one of the 5101E or similar models, love the simplicity but they might be a little lightweight in comparison.

Thanks.

Lot's of experience with the 7 series (7130/7330). They are good tractors. The 6 series (10, 20, 30) are in high demand in my area. I shopped for one for almost 2 years and ultimately gave up and got a newer 6 series. I really liked those older 6 series models, great turning radius, excellent for loader work. I just couldn't get my hands on one.

I looked at the 5 series as well and like you mention they are maybe a little light in comparison.

Thank you both for the responses, I appreciate it.

How did they start in cold weather (single digits)?

Plug them in and they start easy. The days that it's zero for a high we have blown o-rings on hydraulic hoses going to the loader. Once the oil gets flowing no problem.
Your jogging my memory. On our 6320 the braided fuel lines would loose there prime. Got in the habit of turning the key on for 20 seconds before you started it for the first time of the day. Problem solved. There is a fuel cooler by the radiator and the fuel tank is in the middle. It's something like 16' of fuel lines on those tractors. We use good fuel and add #1 to our storage tank in the winter. Never had one jell.

We have a 6430 bought with 400 hrs has 4300 on it now. Had a few drive shaft problems. I love this tractor best way to sum it up. Roll hay, cut hay, pull bat wing, feed hay. They are pricey and hold it well for good reason. If i was looking for that size would pull trigger if could find a decent houred one.

It just seems like that's the magical number when you get the most trade in value. Kind of like trading pick up trucks be for 100k.

SBMF 2015 said:
It just seems like that's the magical number when you get the most trade in value. Kind of like trading pick up trucks be for 100k.
I have to quit buying tractors at 4,000 to 5,000 hours. :dunce:

Seems like a lower cost approach to a newer daily chore tractor would be to buy a lease return with a couple hundred hours on it, and then resell it at 4,000 to 5,000 hours?

Since I put on about 50 hours per month on my main chore tractor - - this would mean trading after about 7 years.

Latest posts