Japanese Yew plants

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/plants/ppyew.htm

Evidently I was not awake when we covered this in college, it wasn't covered, or I don't remember it from 13 years ago. My father-in-law dumped some of these Yew clippings in the pasture that he owns, which is also where I winter my cattle. Anyhow I lost three 550lb steer calves out of my fall calving herd because they ingested enough of this to poison themselves. Was planning on weaning them this week and selling them either next week or in two weeks. This was an expensive lesson, and I feel like an idiot for not knowing that this plant was poisinous to cattle. I was choring when he went into the pasture to dump them. Why he didn't dump them in the ditch by his house I don't know, but I should have known anyway.

Luckily I caught it within about 12 hours of them being dumped, and I kept the death loss at a minimum. I pass this on so others don't have to learn the hard way like I did. Don't dump anything that is not natural for cattle to eat where they can get access to it.

I didn't know either. A nieghbor threw his clippings over his fence. He lost 12 mama cows. I bag all my landscape clippings and haul them off the place.

I had a similiar experience except with my goats. My dad thought it would be a nice "treat" for them. I knew it was poisonous but was not around when dad stopped over so by the time I got home 2hrs later one was dead and 3 other sick. removed the remaining clippings and drenched goats with mineral oil and baking soda. I was furious as I had made it clear in the past that anything given to the animals needed to be cleared by me first, course you know dad didn't think it pertained to him. Luckily I only lost the one goat.

Bummer.
I see it(yew poisoning) all the time - and usually it's just as previously stated - the person trimming the yew shrubs thinks the cows would appreciate the nice green 'snack' - but I've also seen cattle eat dry brown yew needles when folks have pulled out shrubs that died and dumped them in a ditch in the pasture. Even dry and brown, Japanese yew contains enough cyanide to quickly kill a cow, sheep, or goat, with just a few mouthfuls of the plant material. It's- pretty easy to diagnose - you just open the rumen, and the partially chewed(usually minimally-chewed) yew leaves/needles/stems are floating right there on top.
There are other toxic compounds (taxime, taxol, etc.) in yew that can potentially cause toxicity, but the cyanogenic compounds are usually what kills 'em right off.

Latest posts