azelea plants?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Are azelea plants poisonous to cattle? I was curious because I was gonna turn my cattle into a new pasture in July that has an old homesite with azelea plants.

Yes they are. Under normal circumstances they wont eat them, but if they are unfamiliar with them or if the area gets overgrazed they may browse on them. I have a line of azaleas along a fence but my cows never eat them. There are also native azaleas growing on the farm that the cows dont eat. pretty much anything a cow doesnt eat is poisonous or either has thorns.

I was always told that azeleas were poisonous to humans, but wild cherries were lethal to cattle.

Wilted leaves from wild cherry are toxic to cattle

dun

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":drcprv2w said:
I was always told that azeleas were poisonous to humans, but wild cherries were lethal to cattle.

dun":15p9y2k7 said:
Wilted leaves from wild cherry are toxic to cattle

dun

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":15p9y2k7 said:

Yea I was going to put a sign by Black cherry trees in the pasture so the cows would know not to eat them. I have two huge cherry trees in the pasture betwwen hogs,cows, and birds if you want a cherry you better catch it on the way down.

Latest posts