Jacking up settled barn post

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":isqvi8rp said:
A screw is an incline:

wlpvvc.png

Archimedes

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
The hilift jack is a lever and fulcrum. One of my engineering professors used to use that Archimedes quote. Then, I'd spend the rest of class thinking how that theoretically would work but could never be done for numerous reasons and not listening to another word he said for the rest of the class.

ga.prime":2z1a8r30 said:
Bright Raven":2z1a8r30 said:
A screw is an incline:

wlpvvc.png

Archimedes

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
The hilift jack is a lever and fulcrum. One of my engineering professors used to use that Archimedes quote. Then, I'd spend the rest of class thinking how that theoretically would work but could never be done for numerous reasons and not listening to another word he said for the rest of the class.

Those ancient scholars. Would like to have met some of them. Physics, it is amazing how it applies to every thing we do. If there are Gods, they are not Poseidon, Zeus, etc. They are the Laws of Physics. Gravity might be the most fundamental ruler of the Universe.

Bright Raven":ggkzdl73 said:
ga.prime":ggkzdl73 said:
Bright Raven":ggkzdl73 said:
A screw is an incline:

wlpvvc.png

Archimedes

Those ancient scholars. Would like to have met some of them. Physics, it is amazing how it applies to every thing we do. If there are Gods, they are not Poseidon, Zeus, etc. They are the Laws of Physics. Gravity might be the most fundamental ruler of the Universe.
Imagine building things like the Pyramids. They had a pretty good handle on physics. A lot of the Mayan Temples are aligned so that light only shines through a certain hole on the equinoxes. Imagine figuring that out! I visited one once that had a tower and the top was built in such a way that it whistled only when the wind reached hurricane force.

I've seen these called and used as house jacks.

I've seen these called and used as house jacks some places, & called railroad jacks other places.
taking a screen shot

I've seen these called every name in the book when they kicked out and dented something or knocked you upside the head, but I've never heard a track or farm jack called a house jack.

ALACOWMAN":1w80nken said:
ga.prime":1w80nken said:
M-5":1w80nken said:
GP, I use my hilift almost daily , I only had to get hit once with the handle when I was a kid to figure out not to turn loose of the handle.
Yeah you have to watch that, it'll knock your teeth out.
I've always called em farm jacks...

Bumper jack or jack-all around here.

If you are from where they are made, like I am, it's a Bloomfield Jack. There's a 40 footer downtown that actually works.

Farm Fence Solutions":dqnquhoj said:
If you are from where they are made, like I am, it's a Bloomfield Jack. There's a 40 footer downtown that actually works.

FFS, I think it was originally supposed to be Blamefield. Bc I it will knock your teeth out into the blame field if you're not careful :lol2:

greybeard":1b10lq66 said:
I've seen these called and used as house jacks.

I've seen these called and used as house jacks some places, & called railroad jacks other places.
taking a screen shot

I've seen these called every name in the book when they kicked out and dented something or knocked you upside the head, but I've never heard a track or farm jack called a house jack.

Those daggone farm jacks high lift jacks or whatever you call them are nice but dangerous too

So are guns, knives, cattle, horses, pills, powder, AC welders in a puddle, firewater, women, boats, water, too much bacon, not enough bacon, kale in any quantity, okra unless it'd deep fried long enough to kill the cooties, motorcycles, and the most dangerous of all, the horseless carriage. That jack is looking safer all the time. lol Speaking of Jack, I need to calm my nerves with all this danger circling overhead.

We've had some posts on our lean to off the barn rot out so we'll dig around the rotted post and put a treated post next to it and set in cement then jack up the rotted post enough to put the pitch of the roof back in line. Then will drill a hole and secure it to the post we set next to it with a bolt.

SPH":2r14sgv2 said:
We've had some posts on our lean to off the barn rot out so we'll dig around the rotted post and put a treated post next to it and set in cement then jack up the rotted post enough to put the pitch of the roof back in line. Then will drill a hole and secure it to the post we set next to it with a bolt.

Why set it in cement?

Stocker Steve":1icem1nd said:
SPH":1icem1nd said:

Why set it in cement?
The area where the posts to the lean to is at gets pretty soggy especially in the spring which is why some of the posts rotted out because its usually muddy more than it is dry especially in the spring when we are calving and the cows are going in and out of there. We have some old bridge planks we salvaged when they replaced the bridge down the road years ago that are treated and perfect for wet spots like this so we cut a piece off and set it in cement so it has a good base to secure the rotted off post when we jack it up a little. Those planks make for some good corral boards too, good and sturdy and don't rot out.

Latest posts