Ivomec vs. Dectomax

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
In the past we've always used Ivomec on our cattle. I remember one year that one cow got lice. I sprayed her again thinking maybe she somehow got missed running through the chute.
This year we used Dectomax. 1/3 of the herd have lice. I know we didn't miss that many. Has anyone else had a problem with Dectomax?
Also, how long before the lice will die after re-application?

Any of the products you use don't have a very effective life. Most are good for up to like 45 or 60 days. It doesn't suprise me one bit that they are getting lice. It's mostly a time of year thing.

We used Eprinex this fall, before it froze, and we just maybe getting lice now. It's just the right conditions for the cattle to start to get lice. I was actually thinking the Eprinex worked pretty good, but it really isn't the best one out there.

We dont use dectomax for exactly that reason. Our vet claims that dectomax isnt even a good de-licer anymore let alone a good wormer product. We tend to use the generic ivermectins do to the cost, and have gotten along good. Thinking of trying cydectin this year.

Call the company There is an 800 # on the back of the jug. They will send papers to your vet, and he'll come out take a skin scraping for free, and the company will reimberse (sp) you for the pour on. I have done that the past 2 winters. Once with Dectomax, and once with cydectin. I usually just pour them with a half dose now, of generic ivomectin, when the lice start appearing.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It just really made me wonder never having a lice problem before. I think I will switch back and will call Dectomax.

I wondered if Cydectin was bad about it too. Last winter we used cydectin on half the cows and they seemed like they got lice first.

I dont know how everyone feels about it, but I checked the cows real hard the other day after I made my post about Eprinex. I don't think we have anything with lice. This is really going to sound contradictory, but I might have a couple, but can't tell for sure yet.

I know Eprinex is not the best all around wormer, but for the lice issue, I am pretty impressed. A guy down the road used Cydectin this year, and probably 70% have lice already. All the hair on the necks are gone.

I know alot is type of year and certain conditions, but these herds are only about 1 mile away.

i used dectomax one time and it was a complete waste of time and money. it was like i hadnt dewormed them at all. i am not impressed with the product.

Latest posts