IVF embryos ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Just wanting some opinions on IVF embryos using reverse sorted semen verses embryos collected on a regular flush using sexed semen. Is the conception close to the same using the IVF embryos as using regular embryos ? I have used sexed semen for a flush before and I believe we got fewer freezable embryos but the IVF results would be different as far as getting more freezable embryos. I would like to hear what your results have been on the IVF embryos. I know the IVF embryos always bring top dollar and they usually guarantee one pregnancy for 3 embryos but its a lot of trouble and expense for implanting if they don't stick.

I don't have any first-hand experience, but everyone says IVF conception rates are quite a bit lower compared to conventional.

ricebeltrancher":1hl6ga1b said:
I don't have any first-hand experience, but everyone says IVF conception rates are quite a bit lower compared to conventional.

Ditto. I have been told expect a lower stick rate with IVF. As long as you get the guarantee with the purchase, you should be ok. I have one cow I would love to try IVF with, using reverse sorted Upperclass semen on. I have been told around us, the charge is $190 per embryo that freezes, and you do not pay if the embryo does not freeze. That is really reasonable, and the cow can be done from about 30 days post calving up to 120 days post bred, which is nice since you can get her bred back and not lose any time that you do with with conventional embryo work.

Well what I`m thinking about doing is buying some really good IVF Simmental embryos and instead of hoping and praying for a heifer try to stack the deck in my favor. No doubt the bulls would be saleable but I`m really trying to build a good Simmental herd without breaking the bank to do it. I understand this route isn`t cheap or without risk but to get the quality I want I feel it is worth it. I would probably just have the embryos sent to my Embryologist to put in his recip cows and then buy the recips at 60 days bred.

I'm in the middle of doing some of this now...for similar-sounding reasons.

My time is valuable, and embryo work, if successful, is one way to save quite a bit of time. IMO.

We have no experience with IVF, let us know if you use it and how it works for you. Our embryologist will be here Sunday to flush two cows. We have 30 recips set up hopefully will have a good number of them work.

Gizmom

gizmom":ojvr3zza said:
We have no experience with IVF, let us know if you use it and how it works for you. Our embryologist will be here Sunday to flush two cows. We have 30 recips set up hopefully will have a good number of them work.

Gizmom

Good luck!

WalnutCrest":3mlmxxac said:
gizmom":3mlmxxac said:

Gizmom

Good luck!

:nod: yup! I put in two tonight... both recips felt good. One is the cow raising twins, trying to give her a year off (three sets of twins three years in a row), so I hope she sticks it. The other is an embryo herself! Funny thing putting an embryo into an embryo cow.....

I just went through with this and with carefully listening to the ET tech two cows froze 25
embryos conventional and were done in 16 days. IVF would of taken 30 days longer just to start up mainly cause of all the holidays that would stop shipments

I wanted IVF here are the worries I had after listening closely
the un fertilized embryos and semen is shipped to Texas for the process then shipped back to your Et facility
your semen must be 5mil to work for the process. Also have backup semen up to three bulls if your first choices are not 5 mil
sexed or conventional semen works the same its very rare to buy 5mil pre sexed semem
IVF is still a gamble for the ET facility recommended for cows that have a great history of flushing, cows that are preg can be IVF and people that have plenty of money to experiment with. You will need cash up front enroll a cow in IVF $1100 per cow
purchased preg receipts now are not as good as quality as they once were when cows numbers were much higher..70 day preg is now 3200
plus all costs and yardage implant everything else added the bill keeps adding

they also highly recommend to use the same bull if you ivf more than one cow your extra semen is kept in Texas you must pay shipping to get your own semen back

Brand":3k3li7e2 said:
I just went through with this and with carefully listening to the ET tech two cows froze 25
embryos conventional and were done in 16 days. IVF would of taken 30 days longer just to start up mainly cause of all the holidays that would stop shipments

I wanted IVF here are the worries I had after listening closely
the un fertilized embryos and semen is shipped to Texas for the process then shipped back to your Et facility
your semen must be 5mil to work for the process. Also have backup semen up to three bulls if your first choices are not 5 mil
sexed or conventional semen works the same its very rare to buy 5mil pre sexed semem
IVF is still a gamble for the ET facility recommended for cows that have a great history of flushing, cows that are preg can be IVF and people that have plenty of money to experiment with. You will need cash up front enroll a cow in IVF $1100 per cow
purchased preg receipts now are not as good as quality as they once were when cows numbers were much higher..70 day preg is now 3200
plus all costs and yardage implant everything else added the bill keeps adding

they also highly recommend to use the same bull if you ivf more than one cow your extra semen is kept in Texas you must pay shipping to get your own semen back

Got a friend who just got done having his cow "flushed" using IVF. His cow was 70 days bred. He paid board and $190 an embryo that froze. They harvested over 30 eggs, and 18 made to the freezing stage. He only paid for the ones that froze. He did not pay for recips, since he froze them. His total expense was the board on the cow, his semen, and the $190 an egg. Oh, and he found out his cow was carryin a bull..... Since they use ultrasound.
Seems pretty simple to me, and cheaper than the conventional way. Plus, much quicker since you do not have to set the donor up with drugs and wait. They load her in the chute, aspirate the ovary, and she is done. At least, that is what he told me.
Now what I want to know is the conception rate on those embryos. Watching the sales going on, the heifer sexed IVF embryos go for a ton more money, and they still guarantee one pregnancy if you purchase three.

While you are looking for embryos consider some of mine. We have 20+ Donor cows here producing PBSM, PBAN and Simangus with double digit trait leaders and top 1% API and TI. Some with Legacy; Some with no Legacy; Some with No Legacy or Lucky --just depends on what you want.
API ranges from 186 to 198
TI ranges from 90 to 100

jd720":2kik053j said:
Well what I`m thinking about doing is buying some really good IVF Simmental embryos and instead of hoping and praying for a heifer try to stack the deck in my favor. No doubt the bulls would be saleable but I`m really trying to build a good Simmental herd without breaking the bank to do it. I understand this route isn`t cheap or without risk but to get the quality I want I feel it is worth it. I would probably just have the embryos sent to my Embryologist to put in his recip cows and then buy the recips at 60 days bred.

I think flushing cows ivf is better because the drugs they use aren't as hard on the cows. I also like that you can bred them and flush them while they are bred up to 4 months I believe. If you are using high end semen then reverse sorting it in my mind is the best thing to do bc then u are guaranteed heifers. We still do a good amount of conventional but def prefer ivf

Latest posts