Embryos in Bottom of Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Alan

Reaction score
While trying to get them out of the canister I dropped a couple of embryos into the bottom of a 20 litre LN2 tank. :dunce:
Any suggestions on how to retrieve them?

If there in the cane, I use a spring loaded grabber, it had 3 prongs I cut ! off just for that. Not sure what its called auto parts stores have them.
Have used a metal coat hanger with a bend, get it in the crease of the cane.
Put whatever your gonna use in there to get cold and let the vapor clear.

bse said:
If there in the cane, I use a spring loaded grabber, it had 3 prongs I cut ! off just for that. Not sure what its called auto parts stores have them.
Have used a metal coat hanger with a bend, get it in the crease of the cane.
Put whatever your gonna use in there to get cold and let the vapor clear.

I had to retrieve a couple semen straws once. I did exactly what bse said. I used one of those bolt retrievers that you get at NAPA auto parts.

Yep - also not sure what they are called, but they work. Have a container filled with nitrogen, so when you get it to the top, you can immediately drop it into the liquid. Makes it easier to pick up with tweezers & put back into a cup, if just the embryos are on bottom of tank.

I have a few straws at the bottom of my tank, think most of us do! My nitrogen guy told be i can take my tank there and they will tip it out into a nitrogen bath and retrieve them that way. I haven't done anything about it yet.

I also have a bolt retriever/grabber by my tank for retrieving straws. Works great. I just put it in the nitrogen for a minute to get it down in temperature and fish out the straws and quickly put back in nitrogen. Got mine from a mechanic tool salesman but I would guess they are available at any auto parts store. "Claw Magnetic Pick-up Tool"

Latest posts