It's only taken 7+ years, but I've finally caught a birth

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
I know, it's totally corny! But I'm just on cloud 9 that after all this time, I finally was able to catch a birth from water bag to calf. :D

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but oh well.

We had two in the barn, separated out for butchering - that's why we bought them, to turn them around. Anyway, one started bagging up and next thing I know.... calf. (I posted about this in another thread)

Well, the other one in there with her, I told my husband, she's pregnant too.

Sure enough, I went into the hay loft to bring down hay for them and heard "the" moo -- I don't know why I knew that it was her in labor, and not the other mother talking to her calf. By the time I got down from the mow, and turned the lights on, I saw her water bag. I loaded up with a few extra wheel barrows of shavings, put my stool in the corner and just watched. Within 25 minutes it was all done. :clap: :clap:

I know totally corny. His name is James. He'll be someones dinner in 2 years. :lol2:

I never tire of watching calves being born... Well, I just tire of the waiting for the 'getting down to business' part.

One of my pets has a habit of making really big calves, and twice she got away with us not seeing her... she'd be all calm chewing cut at 2 am and the calf would be there at 5 am... Last year she did it in the daytime and I got it on tape

[youtube]GwcnbPEmnRs[/youtube]

Yep, he's already fit to be weaned lol... that was the 3rd time she's pull that off, and her daughter looks like she wants to try it (see my calving season 2012 thread for pics of how she looks)

Nesikep, loved your video. Looks and acts like a good mother. I liked the way she used the calf's weight to assist her in the delivery.

She's got practice and I guess at some point she figured out gravity might as well help out for once. She is a good mother, but her sister is the best in the herd, she's probably going to have her last (15th) calf this year. After calving she doesn't let the calf stray more than 50 feet from her for the first month.

glad you enjoyed the vid

nothing like quietly watching a cow have her calf.i cant count the calves ive seen born.

Yep, especially when you're pretty sure that nothing can go wrong. Last year we had a heifer with a 120 lb bull calf... we had to pull like all heck, and perform CPR on it after... The next day another cow had a calf in a picture-perfect manner (Above cow's niece actually)... from the sign of the hooves to the calf on the ground took about a half hour, and 15 minutes the lively little heifer was sucking. It was nice to see it go right after the previous night. We kept the heifer (8T, Chroma) and she's looking good at 1 year.

Latest posts