Is this springing??

Help Support CattleToday:

Dohcvtec

Reaction score
Hey there sorry for all the newbie questions but first timers here and still trying to figure all this out . So this is our charolais Heifer who is due April 2nd . Is this what they talk about when they say springing ? Also does her udder development look normal for a heifer? Thanks in advance everyone.

Looks like just started to spring, probably will get a lot bigger and looser before she calves. Can't see bag too good but she is making somewhat of a bag. It will get alittle bigger too hopefully. Don't know much about Charlolais cows,tho. Watch and learn, Good luck.

Yes can clearly see in the 3rd pic her udder has begun to blossom and everything looks normal.
True Grit nailed it, she'll calve in 1-3 weeks and 14 days is dead center in that range.
I'll take April 1st in the lottery pool.
Her udder will continue to swell right up to calving and probably a day or 2 after. As she gets closer her vulva will also
swell more and get looser. About 12 hrs before calving the flesh a couple of inches in front of her pin bones on her
top line will sink and the 2 sinking hollows [1 in front of each pin bone] are about the size of a silver dollar
[this is sometimes hard to observe]

Thanks everyone for the comments . Yes trying to observe everything I can and take many pictures so I can see all the changes that are happening

I've never taken any pics, but that's a great idea for learning. A couple of pics each week or as you notice changes
and if possible when she loses her mucus plug and as she's calving would make for a good time line posting on the
beginners board. The signs are about the same for all, but can vary a good bit between individuals. I've got a couple
of cows that bag up so hard the week before you'd swear they couldn't go another day without calving. Then I've got
one old cow that never bags until after she calves... then boom she's full of milk. She's always a tricky one to predict.

Son of Butch":1lh4svit said:
I've never taken any pics, but that's a great idea for learning. A couple of pics each week or as you notice changes
and if possible when she loses her mucus plug and as she's calving would make for a good time line posting on the
beginners board. The signs are about the same for all, but can vary a good bit between individuals. I've got a couple
of cows that bag up so hard the week before you'd swear they couldn't go another day without calving. Then I've got
one old cow that never bags until after she calves... then boom she's full of milk. She's always a tricky one to predict.
I'm a bag watcher and the wife is a tush watcher. We both run about 50% for accuracy

I've seen heifers spring for a long time, before they finally calf. Not sayin that one will go long, but I have definitely seen them spring for literally weeks.

Bigfoot":3mum9k26 said:
I've seen heifers spring for a long time, before they finally calf.
Not saying that one will go long, but I have definitely seen them spring for literally weeks.
So true.
However... A.I. bred and Vet checked PG to April 2nd due date goes a long ways towards peace of mind.
Though I will change my guess from April 1st to the most inconvenient time of 4-4-4 Tuesday April 4th at 4 am
Especially given they're calving their very 1st bred heifer and will anxiously be waiting and hoping she calves early.

When they start getting a nice long string of mucus hanging down from their rear, start watching real close. This normally comes shortly (24-48 hrs) before they calve, however every one is different. As a general rule, you can't watch heifers too closely.

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes very anxious over here this beign out first bred heifer we are watching and trying to plan everything ahead . Any other tips or things to look for? And let the guessing game begin :lol2:

Latest posts