Is this springing??

Help Support CattleToday:

Dohcvtec":2dy6gx1a said:
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes very anxious over here this beign out first bred heifer we are watching and trying to plan everything ahead . Any other tips or things to look for? And let the guessing game begin :lol2:

Yes. She will probably get a little anxious, separate herself from the others. Tail will stick out or to the side. A lot of my cows get very affectionate with me or the other cows (a lot of grooming). They spend more time than usual at the protein lick. Watch the bag but heifers are tricky, all quarters may not completely fill until after she calves. Most of the time you can tell when the calf has dropped, getting into position - unless she's a fatty to begin with.

Good luck!

So a little update everyone... so yesterday while out feeding I noticed out char heifer kept swinging her tail a lot and sometimes holding it out in the air sort of curved .. been checking on them today and just went out right now and she is laying down pretty relaxed but when I checked her tail end she has a clear jello looking thing coming out not too long maybe 8 inches or so. What does everyone think?

The clear jello looking thing is a mucus discharge. When they lose the vaginal plug the mucus usually comes streaming out rather than the jell just sticking to the tail. Take a couple more rear view pictures to see how she's coming along and how the udder is developing.

I had a middle aged cow I bought a few months ago that's bag got a little bigger every week for over 2 months before she calved. She fooled me pretty bad. The way her bag filled up the first week after we bought her I thought she was within a week or two of calving. 2 months later she had a nice little black baldy heifer calf.

So about an hour ago she was laying down and had a sac of water out...shorty after the bag broke and is now trying to push the calf out...what's the normal time frame I should leave her before I need to step In and help

Nothing yet..she keeps getting up and laying back down and everytime the hooves come out a little more and can start to see a mouth

Give her a little more time she'll have it I give them about 2 hours after I see feet

I'd be pulling the calf myself. From what I've learned there's no down side to pulling the calf. This is the best and worst part of owning cattle, good luck.

Dohcvtec":1w8cpve3 said:
Nothing yet..she keeps getting up and laying back down and everytime the hooves come out a little more and can start to see a mouth

As long as she's making steady progress, and it sounds like she is, everything should be fine.

With a heifer if an hour passes it';s time to see what's going on in there

Latest posts