Is this Pinkeye?.?.?

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
I have a 8mo. old Angus bull calf that I believe to have pinkeye. Today when feeding some cubes I noticed what appeared to be a little bit of pink tissue (that I have never noticed before) on the inside edge of the eye along with a little cloudiness and excessive tearing. From everything I have red this sounds like pinkeye but I haven't found anything that mentioned the slight pink tissue. I went ahead and hit him with LA200, is there anything else I could/should do? How long will it take for the eye to start clearing up? This is my first dealings with pinkeye so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....

I have also found several articles stating that antibiotics generally aren't effective in the treatment of pinkeye. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I would prefer to not drop $100 at the Vet. for something I could take care of.

If it is pinkeye the LA 200 will work. It could be IBR, as I believe it can cause symptoms of pinkeye.

I use Exenel for pink eye. Follow lable for a shot SQ and 2/10 cc exenell with 3/10 cc of dex in the third eyelid. It acts as a resovour and slowly releases into the infected eye.

COuld be that he got something in his eye to cause his eye to get that way. The LA 200 was a good call. I also use a little Terramycin ointment in the eye. It depends how severe as to how long it will take to clear up. Keep an eye of him and retreat with LA if needed.

Could be IBR, but I am not a vet and not going to act like an expert on it. I bet he got poked in the eye or something to agitate his eye.

LA 200 or any other Long Acting Tetracycline will work. Follow it up after 72 hours with a second shot. In SA we get a ointment called TERRACORTRIL which has oxytetracycline and cortisone as active ingredients that really works well.

If your out of plans try any Dry cow mastitis syringe and squirt it directly in the eye. Makes a awfull blue mess, but it works. my prefered choice is PENSTREP DRY COW, don't know if thats available in the states.

Thank for all the replies. Here we are roughly 24hrs. later and I don't see a whole lot of improvement. The eye still has a cloudy spot in the middle and there is still a little pink tissue towards the inside of the eye. It appears that the eye isn't tearing as much as it was yesterday though. I'll give him another 48hrs. and then hit him with LA200 again. How long should it be before I see some of the cloudiness go away or some improvement? Also, how long does it generally take from time of infection to the point of permanent damage to the eye?

BTW: This has only affected one eye so from what I have read I don't believe it to be IBR.

I would look under the eyelid and all around the eye for something. It could be a piece of hay in there that you're not going to see unless you really take a good hard look. I've had cheat grass get in a couple of eyes over the years, and I even pulled a cocklebur out of one last year.

Banamine and Excenel are pretty expensive drugs for pinkeye. I will also usually flush the eye, but I use penicillen since its cheaper and effective as anything else. The terramycin ointment seems to really help if you put anything in the eye.

As stated, I would also check out the eye to see if something may be in the eyelid causing agitation.

We always put pennicillin and/or mastitis medicine in the eye...not as an injection...just the medicine as much under the eyelid as possible.

Alice

Latest posts