Is this joint ill?

Help Support CattleToday:

mystic_cows

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I do not know a lot about cows..I am a horseperson.
That being said, my husband and I are caretakers for a small cattle farm with out of state owners.

Went out to drop roll bales today, and one of our young calves is extremely over at the knee. we tried to catch him to see if his joints were hot or navel infected, and he got very short of breath, and coughed, so we backed off. He and his mamma are in a herd of about 40.[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sz6WgRKc274&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sz6WgRKc274&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Can't be sure. Looks like joint ill, but also looks like he has a bad case of pnemonia. A call to the vet, and then a visit to get the drugs would be in very short order

Have to agree with RR, you had better catch that calf asap and pull a temp and get things checked out on him benign neglect in this case will most likely end up with a dead calf. I would be on the phone with a vet pronto and get them out or bring that calf in.

Good luck with him and let us know what your vet says after he/she has seen him.

The video's not quite close enough to tell much about the joint other than that the calf doesn't want to bear weight on it - I'd strongly suspect joint ill but can't say for certain.

The respiratory problems that calf has may kill him before the joint requires euthanization. Best to get a vet to look at him ASAP.

I don't like the angle of the joint, about 3/4 through video when calf actually puts some weight on leg it seems to 'pop' to one side. This could be from severe damage of joint ill or an injury/dislocation-I would probably think more injury/dislocation, difficult to tell. How old is calf?

Latest posts