Is there an effective homeade fence box?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stun guns use DC, very high voltage and very low current. The premise for hot fence is the same. It hurts but doesn't actually cause any damage.

Walt

Txwalt":m223yd9g said:
Amps are the killer. However the frequency of 110 is closest to what makes the heart pump and can confuse the system into shutting down. I think they call it Fibrillation. Then of course the EMT will shock you again to wake the system back up. Almost doesn't make sense. Copied this from another site;

"It is common knowledge that victims of high-voltage shock usually respond to artificial respiration more readily that the victims of low-voltage shock. The reason may be the merciful clamping of the heart, owing to the high current densities associated with high voltages."

High Amps is what will make people burn and cook. High amps will cause the nasty pictures that you may see from time to time. The 110 at your house won't be as gruesome but just as deadly if you can't get off of it.

Walt

Most all voltage in the U.S. is 60 cycle. Even the big 161k lines overhead. The military uses 400 cycle on planes and ships. Most of the U.K. has 50 cycle. just somemore useless trivia.

after talking with the guys at work. Cycles not frequency is what I should have said.

Walt

Txwalt":3dw50ao6 said:
after talking with the guys at work. Cycles not frequency is what I should have said.

Walt

They are the same thing. It refers to the number of times the voltage goes from + to - in the timespan of one second. You will also see it as hertz.

Sounds like a lot of good advice out there, buy a commercial fence charger. Sure you might be able to save a few bucks, but unless you know and respect electricity, you can pay a price, from a cow or bull to a human life. I can't imagine any local or county codes that would allow this, or if your insurance agent knew, how long would you be insured? If you are having problems with you charger, try fixing the wiring and connections, the answer is not more power. Liability is an issue for everything we do, and a electricified wire with a path to ground is dangerous to say the least, and a law suit waiting to happen. Remember reading electrocution reports in school, a lot of them were from homemade worm probes. :stop:

BE SAFE
rick

I have a 3j box and I was walking up to the fence a while back and it is on a hillside, as i got to the fence the wet grass caused me to lose my footing on the way down I instinctivly grabbed for what I could... I got a T post in my left hand and the hot wire in my right.. My heart still races just thinking about it.. it is a "LIFE ALTERING JOLT"

Well I solved the problem. I didn't try to make a exocution style fence...I ended up changing pastures with him. Found out that in his old pasture, he was in full view of another bull, and he felt the need to "go visit." So now, he thinks he is alone. No problem now.

Think that we're not talking about the same things when we want "shock" power in a fence....chargers are rated in Joules.
Line voltage is rated in amps.
Not the same folks....
The guys that run straight line voltage, whether or not stepped down with bulbs, toasters of radios are putting a high amperage current through the animal or whatever contacts the circuit. The current will stay there until the circuit is broken, hopefully by tripping the circuit breaker or blowing a fuse (for those of us familiar with such old time stuff) and not the death of the animal.
The charger is designed to give a momentary shock then have a uncharged wire...this allows the animal or farmer a second or two to react to the experience and move away...not stay connected to the ccircuit.
The Long Green Mile comes to mind when reading this thread.
Get a person across the contraption and the legal definiation changes to "man trap"...not easily explained in court.
And thats my two bits worth...asked for or not! Dmc

doublec_ranch":10hcx8tg said:
Well I solved the problem. I didn't try to make a exocution style fence...I ended up changing pastures with him. Found out that in his old pasture, he was in full view of another bull, and he felt the need to "go visit." So now, he thinks he is alone. No problem now.
Good job. Some bulls just love to fight. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your fence charger?

Latest posts