Is there an effective homeade fence box?

Help Support CattleToday:

doublec_ranch

Reaction score
I once worked for a farmer who told me that he saw a homemade charger once. It was plugged into the wall, and ran through light bulbs to weaken its power...the more bulbs the less power. For bulls, he used few bulbs. Does anyone know how to really do this? I only ask because of a problem with bulls and my cross fences.

doublec_ranch":1hye7ym8 said:
I once worked for a farmer who told me that he saw a homemade charger once. It was plugged into the wall, and ran through light bulbs to weaken its power...the more bulbs the less power. For bulls, he used few bulbs. Does anyone know how to really do this? I only ask because of a problem with bulls and my cross fences.
Sounds like a darn good way to kill someone. And if you don,t do that you will burn so much energy with the bulbs you could have bought a good one. If it is done right there should be no problem.

It is pretty easy to do but you will end up killing someone or burning down your pastures. So I'm not telling you. :p

Well thank yall for the confidence, oh and thanks for telling me how...oh wait :mad: you didn't. I'm not worried about killing anyone, that is why you put light bulbs in it, to tone it down. As for the cost, If they made a box that hot, it would be pretty expensive. Also it's not a constant 365 days a year. As a matter of fact, when breeding is done, they are all seperated from the "girls" and put together. I have a 500 mile Galleger fence box, that turned out to be massage therapy for them as they walk through it. So if anyone has any ideas beside killing them and A.I.'ing all my cattle, let me know.

doublec_ranch":27j3tuxa said:
Well thank yall for the confidence, oh and thanks for telling me how...oh wait :mad: you didn't. I'm not worried about killing anyone, that is why you put light bulbs in it, to tone it down. As for the cost, If they made a box that hot, it would be pretty expensive. Also it's not a constant 365 days a year. As a matter of fact, when breeding is done, they are all seperated from the "girls" and put together. I have a 500 mile Galleger fence box, that turned out to be massage therapy for them as they walk through it. So if anyone has any ideas beside killing them and A.I.'ing all my cattle, let me know.

And that's the problem. You don't think. Put as many bulbs on as you want, then you grab it. When you don,t post anymore we will know your theory does not work. Electricty follows the path of least resistence. That is through you directly to ground.
You will make the bulbs go dim not the other way around. A constant 110V can grab you and not let you go. Electric fence chargers put power out in pulses so you can get off.
I know you have a problem. We had an angus bull that would use the electric fence to scratch his back. Try useing 3 wires 12 1/2 gauge. Make sure you have real good grounds. Test the fence for output.

doublec_ranch":2ks7jao2 said:
:p
Why don't you get a 2 joule charger and ground it real good. It'll whack the snot out of those bulls with about 10,000 volts but wont kill anything but grasshoppers and wont start any fires. I picked one up just the other day for $100.

And this is why I'm not telling you how to build one."I'm not worried about killing anyone". ;-)

doublec_ranch":1b5aaz7v said:
I have a 500 mile Galleger fence box, that turned out to be massage therapy for them as they walk through it. So if anyone has any ideas beside killing them and A.I.'ing all my cattle, let me know.

Fix your ground system

dun

It's the joule rating on the box that is the best indicator of it's "shock value" - ours puts out 7 joules and keeps even the bulls about 3 ft back from the fence at all times!

I agree on fixing the ground system. I'll hold onto a 120AC line for a long time before I'd grab my electric fence with a 2J charger. Fence feels like getting hit with a 2X4. My cows blow snot and their eyes bulge out when they touch it.

doublec_ranch":1hqm5y7h said:
You have ground problems. I have a m400 that will burn a hole in them. One is a rogue bull and he won't touch it. He shoulders on all the steel and gates but he won't touch the hot fence.

Go to the store and buy a fence charger before you kill yourself or some one you love. That home made thing might even burn your house down. Just spend the $100 and enjoy life. You will come out cheaper in the long run. You can't take it with you.

5 years ago I paid out, got 18 joules. Gonna run cattle - do it right.

The 3 times I have accidentally bumped into it since have been life altering experiences.

I do believe that what you are talking about in your light bulb scenario does have something to do with Darwins theory of Natural Selection and possibly human evolution itself.

:lol: :lol:

The light bulb fence charger is a real bad idea.
My father in law had a old neighbor who did that , it worked read good until he killed a cow.

Dan

A few years back a friend of mind built one of those light bulb chargers an killed some of his prize hunting dogs.

Talk about law suits, your really asking for it.

Its easy to built but, i,am not telling either.

I once spoke with an electrician who told me that there is a common misconception about the danger of electricity. People were always asking him about the worst shock he'd received. He said that of course 220v and 480v were dangerous, but that common 110v is the one most likely to kill you. It's closest to the voltage that your brain uses to control your heartbeat. A jolt from your household outlet can interrupt your heartbeat rhythm or stop it completely.
Not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but I found it to be very interesting.

Its not the voltage its the amps. And then the path through your body. In you finger out you elbow, burns but usually don't kill. Even 1 tenth of a amp across your heart can kill.

doublec_ranch":20nm14iw said:

Nope, won't work. Saw a guy kill some cows with a get-up like that once.

Go buy a charger.

Chargers have a very high voltage. Very high. No way a light bulb will step-up voltage. They will only create amperage which is the killer.

There was an article in the latest issue of Quail Unlimited about a man who lost his prized and irreplaceable bird dog to a 110v electric fence. Sad story. 110v won't keep livestock in any better than a 7000v charger. Difference is, the 7000v charger won't kill and unlike the rheostat rigged 110v, uses no energy and thereby creates no heat.

Amps are the killer. However the frequency of 110 is closest to what makes the heart pump and can confuse the system into shutting down. I think they call it Fibrillation. Then of course the EMT will shock you again to wake the system back up. Almost doesn't make sense. Copied this from another site;

"It is common knowledge that victims of high-voltage shock usually respond to artificial respiration more readily that the victims of low-voltage shock. The reason may be the merciful clamping of the heart, owing to the high current densities associated with high voltages."

High Amps is what will make people burn and cook. High amps will cause the nasty pictures that you may see from time to time. The 110 at your house won't be as gruesome but just as deadly if you can't get off of it.

Walt

Latest posts