Is the money ever really lost?

Help Support CattleToday:

The "never lose anything" sounds like a great pitch to potential investors.

I'll defer to Kenny's example for demonstration of what I understand real life to be like. You have to pay bills in all 20 yrs to make it in the business 20 yrs, looks to me like.

It is true in most markets that your investment will average out to zero or greater over a long time period. The problem encountered with buying and selling simultaneously (and most market strategies) is when the market swings down hard enough and fast enough to wipe out your working capital. $20,000 of cattle is always $20,000 of cattle but 10% return (or whatever) is still 10% either way.

My grandpa bought and sold a pile of cattle in his day. His thing was to never lose your numbers regardless of the market. If he was going to have 4000 in the feedyard at the start of the year you could bet he would have 4000 head on feed at the end of the year +/- a few loads for tax purposes. He didn't try to hold the cattle forever when the market dropped and he didn't quit buying when they got high. If he was selling cattle at a loss he was buying the back the same week. He was very good at managing feed costs and buying cattle cheap compared to what the market was at the time. When he started feeding cattle he had 200 head all on borrowed money and 25 years after that he owned 6,000 head free and clear and had built two feedlots of his own.

Supa Dexta":1itajaf2 said:
CSM":1itajaf2 said:
"I didn't loose anything, I didn't sale anything".
CSM
Sell.. The word is sell. Why do I always see the word sale used like this, on this board? Its peculiar.
:lol:
Sail... The word is sail. I didn't sail 'em cause the crick done dried up.
Lose...The word is lose. The cowboys are going to lose Sunday cause they been chasing too many loose women.

TennesseeTuxedo":z0dypjw4 said:
Supa Dexta":z0dypjw4 said:
CSM":z0dypjw4 said:
CSM

Sell.. The word is sell. Why do I always see the word sale used like this, on this board? Its peculiar.

One of my pet peeves as well Dexta.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Typos, and using the wrong word, irritate me to no end.

Supa Dexta":30esa9br said:
CSM":30esa9br said:
CSM

It must be some sort of internet talk. I see it all over, not just here. Not sure why it bothers me so much, but it drives me nuts. For whatever reason, people think normal English no longer applies when online.

When I'm not sure how to spell something, I try to use another word I do know how to spell. Plus sell, and sale are confusing. Especially the last month. Calves are on sale.

Stocker Steve":1z059no9 said:
So if you are a trader or a stocker operator or feed lot owner, and the price of calves doubles, so that now you only have 50% utilization - - did you lose money?

No but you haven't made any either.

Supa Dexta":7xzh5yfn said:
CSM":7xzh5yfn said:
CSM

Do you not understand what the poster is saying regardless of how it's spelled?? Maybe I need to turn my spell check on....but would it know if I meant sell, sale, or sail?? No but intelligent being do. :cowboy:

Irregardless, Its the wrong word being used. And I've noticed it numerous times on here. Leaves me wondering if people in other places use the word like that.. As in 'I saled 3 cows last week' / 'As I had 3 cows to sale'...?

But sure, attack my comprehension of the improper use of the language - That's productive use of your time.

TexasBred":2orkao53 said:
Supa Dexta":2orkao53 said:
CSM":2orkao53 said:
CSM

Do you not understand what the poster is saying regardless of how it's spelled?? Maybe I need to turn my spell check on....but would it know if I meant sell, sale, or sail?? No but intelligent being do. :cowboy:

Probably in this case, but if it's the wrong word, how can you be sure? And if it keeps getting worse will we eventually reach a point where we can't figure out what people are trying to say because they don't know the correct word to convey their meaning? Or if they do know it, they can't spell it? And if you don't think punctuation is important, consider the difference one comma makes in the following sentences: "Let's eat Grandpa" and "Let's eat, Grandpa". :bang:

TT, use to be the grammar teacher - police. But he gave up the job, so maybe y'all can take it over. For the most part I have no trouble figuring out what someone is trying to say.
Except maybe Farmer Shell, I miss her imput.

Supa Dexta":eima1dt6 said:
Irregardless, Its the wrong word being used. And I've noticed it numerous times on here. Leaves me wondering if people in other places use the word like that.. As in 'I saled 3 cows last week' / 'As I had 3 cows to sale'...?

But sure, attack my comprehension of the improper use of the language - That's productive use of your time.

About like using a nonstandard word, according to my dictionary app, like irregardless? Which is, by the way, underlined in red right now by spell check, suggesting I use regardless instead.

So, do you mean:

regardless ( without regard ), It's the wrong word being used.

OR

irregardless ( without without regard, thus with regard), it's the wrong word being used.

I don't care either way, just thought it was amusing.

Used to have a time teaching words like these. You could say: I will sell some calves at the sale tomorrow after I sail my boat. We used to have these in a spelling lesson along with a lot more. Fun days! Sometimes I miss them. But now I have my calves. I made them line up this morning and take turns getting their treats. They are my babies. Help make the days better.

Wonder why this board is turning into another homesteading/family cow forum.

I'll be sure to only bring up my highland/jersey pet cow problems from now on, and why she won't sleep still at the foot of my bed. About like not getting irony when it's plainly spelled out (perhaps a semi colon should have been used though). Guess it needs a tiny cartoon face to work. :banana: :tiphat: :pop: :bang: :deadhorse:

You guys crack me up! I have been checking this thread lately as it is a interesting topic...but all I am learning is how to spell!!

My thoughts on this is; if the market stays down you've lost money for the year but have taken some risk out of the next set of calves you bought. On the other hand, if you average out the profit/loss over the years, you have taken out the risk of the up and downs of the market. I think this is a smart strategy if you have cheap enough feed to winter over the calves, I don't.

Sorry I got off the thread and on to spelling, but the teacher side of me just has to come out sometimes.
I am worried about my 15 calves that will be ready in December. I believe I will have plenty to feed them, but not past January. I have two to go now that missed the truck the last two times. I looked at one Beefmaster Angus cross this morning five months old that would have brought over $1300 like some others did last December. Makes you want to cry. Hopefully, prices will pick up in a few months.

Rafter S":xow3i4d7 said:
Probably in this case, but if it's the wrong word, how can you be sure? And if it keeps getting worse will we eventually reach a point where we can't figure out what people are trying to say because they don't know the correct word to convey their meaning? Or if they do know it, they can't spell it? And if you don't think punctuation is important, consider the difference one comma makes in the following sentences: "Let's eat Grandpa" and "Let's eat, Grandpa". :bang:

Just don't be the next one to say "I seen". :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Latest posts