Is now a good time to sell calves ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a load of 4 wt calves I bought and started back grounding in December. They are eating well now, and will get their second shots this weekend. Should I move them out now or wait out the recent price bounce?

I've got a bunch I bought from October to the last sale of the year, they are all leaving In the next 2 weeks and going to be replaced.

If the calves were bought around June-July selling yesterday would be a good tax write off if you need it.

I've got a question I've been thinking a lot about. Prices seem to be going up a bit lately. I've also talked to a lot of people who did what I did and held calves that they normally would have shipped this fall. Everyone I talk to is thinking of selling fairly soon to cash in on the price rise. Do you think this will happen enough that the increased number of calves will drive the price down again? I guess the real question is does this price increase have legs or will it come down as fast as it went up? Should I sell quickly or hold out a few weeks?

Toad":125pd9a1 said:
I've got a question I've been thinking a lot about. Prices seem to be going up a bit lately. I've also talked to a lot of people who did what I did and held calves that they normally would have shipped this fall. Everyone I talk to is thinking of selling fairly soon to cash in on the price rise. Do you think this will happen enough that the increased number of calves will drive the price down again? I guess the real question is does this price increase have legs or will it come down as fast as it went up? Should I sell quickly or hold out a few weeks?
My opinion is that the first week or 2 of the year may be the high this time around.

denvermartinfarms":m5gg5ydg said:
Toad":m5gg5ydg said:
My opinion is that the first week or 2 of the year may be the high this time around.
I've been thnking the same, at least the high until the grass turns green. I have some 5 and 6 weight calves that need to go or I'm going to run short on hay.

Steve, with the drop in prices have you been able to put enough weight on those purchased calves to break even?

I wondered about my own calves and figured out that the neighbor has to put at least 200 lbs on them to even come close to getting his money out of them.

Aaron":1i8puamv said:
Steve, with the drop in prices have you been able to put enough weight on those purchased calves to break even?

I held my spring calves waaay too long - - but I told the heifers to be good replacements or else, and sold the heavy steers in November - - before re loading in December with light calves. They are pounding down corn silage and may be worth 15 to 20 cents more than I paid for them... :) I think there is more money now in sell buy than pounds added.

I sold some back sliding summer calving cows at the holiday sale today for U$S 1,158. Contractors still have some money :banana: Should have hauled in a couple more.

Stocker Steve":2w7a6aim said:
Aaron":2w7a6aim said:

I held my spring calves waaay too long - - but I told the heifers to be good replacements or else, and sold the heavy steers in November - - before re loading in December with light calves. They quickly used my expired meds but are pounding down corn silage. They should be worth 15 to 20 cents more than I paid for them... :) I think there is more money now in sell buy than pounds added.

I sold some back sliding summer calving cows at the holiday sale today for U$S 1,158. Hobby guys still have some money. Should have hauled in a couple more.

Top slaughter cows were 71.5 cents. Guys were fighting over thin feeding cows.

I am trying to hold off till grass greens I have plenty of hay my stock pile is gone for the most part so I will be feeding soon probably this week Toad if you get the number we both said we would sell for mine are right behind yours

Waited too long before selling...
Had to butcher a bloater today (Aaron saw this one coming)
and threw the 3 legged steer into the grind.

We sold 18 steers yesterday. The market has definitely gone up since their last sale on Dec 16th (hadn't had a sale since due to Christmas and an ice storm). We averaged 1314.19 per head, average weight was 769 & got docked big time for the 5 steers with frostbitten ears and Stumpy, who was missing part of his tail. (Why do they always wait to calve until there's a blizzard & negative temps?????)

TCRanch":1z31t26u said:
We sold 18 steers yesterday. The market has definitely gone up since their last sale on Dec 16th (hadn't had a sale since due to Christmas and an ice storm). We averaged 1314.19 per head, average weight was 769 & got docked big time for the 5 steers with frostbitten ears and Stumpy, who was missing part of his tail. (Why do they always wait to calve until there's a blizzard & negative temps?????)

That's great. Here they wouldn't have broke $1k.

Stocker Steve":2bzhvf3z said:
Waited too long before selling...
Had to butcher a bloater today (Aaron saw this one coming)
and threw the 3 legged steer into the grind.

At least you were able to salvage him. Mine always end up dead, although I was able to dump a chronic cow at the mart 4 years ago for 1/2 price, so that was a win. I just can them as soon as they come along - not looking for fixer-uppers. Make cheap burger.

JMJ Farms":2coyc1j0 said:
TCRanch":2coyc1j0 said:

That's great. Here they wouldn't have broke $1k.

Still waaaaay less than the ones we sold last year but everything's tanked. Not disappointed, though.

TCRanch":2lt90t2t said:
Still waaaaay less than the ones we sold last year but everything's tanked. Not disappointed, though.

Yes
Sorted off and sold 51 calves on Wednesday. Light calves averaged $944.
Thought a bit about whether a $2.05 top was good or bad. Decided to go with good. :nod:

Bought back 3 bred heifers. :cowboy:

Latest posts