Is It Worth Trying?

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
With all the recent debate over Brahman influence and its negative impact on beef quality, I have questioned whether any Brahman breeders are working on their carcass quality. If so, are they making progress, or is it possible?

No. The one thing I hate about Brangus is that they have 3/8 Brahman. I called them retarted camels. What is the use for them there wild, ugly and they are not the best meat. My cousins raise brahmans.

SCfarms":nk34h1t8 said:
No. The one thing I hate about Brangus is that they have 3/8 Brahman. I called them retarted camels. What is the use for them there wild, ugly and they are not the best meat. My cousins raise brahmans.
Uhhh, Stephen.......If you hate the Brahman heritage in Brangus cattle, why do you raise them? Wouldn't it be best to raise Angus? If you leave out the 3/8 Brahman you do not have a Brangus. I wonder if it's possible for you to ever post anything that makes a lick of sense.

Yes, to your question. They are using ultrasound and DNA to see what lines have good carcass quality in them. Like any breed their are bad ones and good ones. I know the Brahman assoc. has been pushing more breeders to fed out calves and get that carcass data. The last time I know LSU was working with them on shear force test and some carass e.p.d's. I would say the Santa Gertrudis breed has been in the forefront in doing DNA testing for tenderness and quality grade. For what I know and been told is that the tenderness test is better than the quality test for Brahman influence cattle.

Matt

Stephen,
its "retarded", not "reTARTed". They make Brangus without Brahman. they call them "angus".

There are some some extermely talented folks working to make the brahman better(in terms of carcass quality). JS jenetics comes to mind, and LSU is everpresent with these types of experiments. BUT, since there is a backlash against ears, some of us down south may want to consider a different approach. Perhaps Tuli to cross? I'm not sure of the answer, but with the science today, anything is possible.

From my own experience, I've find that as little as 25% brahman in a cow/calf is enough to give them the stamina to withstand the heat and humidity. Most Brangus and other Brahman cross (braford, charbray, etc.) have 3/8's brahman. This is a little too much for my taste, so I wind up crossing them with either a angus bull or an angus plus bull, to get less brahman characteristics. Just my thoughts, because i despise getting docked because a calf has big ears.

My two cents

I think that in a relatively short time we will see a lot of deep south operations reduce the Brahman blood component of the cowherd to 25% or less. We'll always need to pick the cow herd that can thrive in our environment and then maybe use English or Continental bulls. There's a dinky little operation down in south Texas called the King Ranch that seems to be doing a lot of carcass improvement work, with both Santa Gertrudis and Santa Cruz. The later breed, of course, happens to be only a 3/16ths Brahman blooded animal and I gather that the ranch has apparently been well satisfied with their ability to thrive in the deep south Texas environment. The King ranch operates their own feedlot and I'd sure love to know some details about the carcass yield and grade and genestar results they've achieved with both breeds. Has anybody here been privy to any of that sort of information? Maybe I've just not seen any details that have been disseminated --- they seem to be a pretty private and close to the vest bunch. But a Santa Cruz (or any other 3/16th's Brahman composite) cow bred to English or Continental would of course yield a calf with less than 10% Brahman blood, and would probably be quite acceptable to the majority of feedlots operated by anybody other then the tapeworm!

SCfarms":3ev9ckjg said:

WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR AVATAR THEN??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

SC it wasnt to long ago that you were singing the praise of brangus its hard to acheive any goals if you don't have a mind set.i dont see brahman going away at all .maybe the flighty high headed chicken boned ones. but they are some hardy brahmans less flighty that will no dought have a better quality meat less dark cutter :hat:

Cypressferms suggestion in considering the Tuli is worth considering. When I exported the first Tuli cattle to Namibia in 1978 some brahman breeders in the area scorned the native breed.After a prolonged drought,and the realisation that the Tuli produces a carcase of equal quality as the Angus,all the local breeders changed to Tuli .

I'm a Santa Gertrudis breader and will do some digging to find out what the latest Genstar results are or what the average is and post it. I like the brahma influence for the simple fact that nothing bothers them, bugs,pinkeye,ect. I can't say for pure brahmas but i know the gerts have no problem with the cold and i know both thrive in the heat. As for King Ranch last time I heard they were running well into the thousands of gerts and Santa Cruz catle so the brahma influence must be worth something

greenwillowherefords":2p2dduez said:
With all the recent debate over Brahman influence and its negative impact on beef quality, I have questioned whether any Brahman breeders are working on their carcass quality. If so, are they making progress, or is it possible?

Willow there will always be cattlemen chasing fad cattle, there are 3 essential breeds in the American beef industry or there crosses. Bramers are one of the breeds, as stated many times on the board good cattle come from good management.

A large and increasing number of Brahman breeders here in Australia are starting to use Genestar testing for marbling and tenderness etc. We are about to start in the new year with our Brahman,South Brahvon and South Devons having them genestar tested. Brahman and Brahman derived breeds now make up 70% of Australia's beef herd.
Brahmans are good cattle that can handle cold and hot conditions. Temperament is not an issue. Management is often the issue.

I would have to agree with the managment aspect of catltle no matter what the breed is. I know with Gerts that if you misstreat them once they wont forget the next time you are around, I'm sure that all brahma influence are the same way or are they. Damn good moms though

TennCattleMan57":2w93w0hx said:
I know herefords are supposed to be docile but I had a couple moma cows that as they got older went a little coo coo in the head. One of them had bangs disease she had been out of her head a couple days and my buddy tom isham from the usda happened to be over there checking for bangs on the farm and he said for sure she had it. Course back then this was the early 70's and I just assumed she was just crazy in her old age. At any rate there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground and we went out to check her and she came at me and was running full speed. Luckily I had a 30.30 winchester on me and I shot her right between the eyes but the bullet went down and out the side of her neck and she still kept coming so I ran back to the truck by that time Tom already had the 30.06 loaded and had stepped out. I was hollering shoot her shoot her and he fired once and hit her right between the eyes again and this time she dropped like a sack of potatoes dead. The necropsy did show bangs disease. I have never had one with it before and never had one since never did find out quiet how she got it. Although none of the other cows ever came down with it cuz when she got sick I isolated her fast. Crazy cows. Some just have a screw loose some dont.

do you even know what bangs is? :roll:

TennCattleMan57":3gz4w0vy said:
there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground

Hey Crowder, do you get alot of snow in Tn?

I had a 30.30 winchester on me and I shot her right between the eyes but she kept coming
Must not have been right between the eyes then.

I ran back to the truck by that time Tom already had the 30.06 loaded and had stepped out.
Little over the top don't ya think???

Some just have a screw loose some dont.
I reckon that goes for people too hu
:roll: :roll:

Kinda neat how it seems that you took just enough time to google that answer before you replied. Isn't the internet an wonderful thing? :roll:

TennCattleMan57":1atllbrz said:
I know herefords are supposed to be docile but I had a couple moma cows that as they got older went a little coo coo in the head. One of them had bangs disease she had been out of her head a couple days and my buddy tom isham from the usda happened to be over there checking for bangs on the farm and he said for sure she had it. Course back then this was the early 70's and I just assumed she was just crazy in her old age. At any rate there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground and we went out to check her and she came at me and was running full speed. Luckily I had a 30.30 winchester on me and I shot her right between the eyes but the bullet went down and out the side of her neck and she still kept coming so I ran back to the truck by that time Tom already had the 30.06 loaded and had stepped out. I was hollering shoot her shoot her and he fired once and hit her right between the eyes again and this time she dropped like a sack of potatoes dead. The necropsy did show bangs disease. I have never had one with it before and never had one since never did find out quiet how she got it. Although none of the other cows ever came down with it cuz when she got sick I isolated her fast. Crazy cows. Some just have a screw loose some dont.

I shouldn't brag but if a cow can walk, I can send her to a stockyard. No matter how crazy she is My grandfather once spent three years catching one steer that hid out in some swampy property he had leased only for it to bust out the back glass of the stock truck and then break out of the stockyard, but we never resorted to shooting crazy cows. I also never heard of Bangs causing cows to act aggressive. Brucellosis would have been just another cattle venereal disease we have to manage for like Leptospirosis or Vibrio IF it didn't cause Ungilant Fever in people. Fortunately, the previous generation bit the bullet to do what it takes to eliminate that horrible disease from our business.

TennCattleMan57":1s9v3od1 said:
Frankly i dont care what you think. So there ya go.

Well, that sure sounded all grown up and intelligent now didn't it :lol:

Latest posts