is it true?

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer

Reaction score
theres a rumor here in Ky that the clover in pastures are so strong that cows are getting sick. A friend of mine had a cow to die and we are stumped on what happened to it. The clover is unreal since weve had so much rain. If this is true what should we do?

Yes, clover is a legume, like alfalfa. Eating too much can certainly cause bloat and kill cattle. Limit the time they are allowed on that pasture. Do a search on clover + grazing or clover + bloat. I know it has been discussed on here before.

angie":5z2jfh3v said:
Yes, clover is a legume, like alfalfa. Eating too much can certainly cause bloat and kill cattle. Limit the time they are allowed on that pasture. Do a search on clover + grazing or clover + bloat. I know it has been discussed on here before.
I suppose grass tetnay could be a problem also if you are that green and wet and cloudy.

1982vett":1wr124w4 said:
I suppose grass tetnay could be a problem also if you are that green and wet and cloudy.
Certainly. It is safe to assume the clover is in a rapid growth stage which, from what I have had explained to me, means increased nitrogen and certainly grass tetany could be an issue. Maybe I am confusing 2 or more things though as introduction of legumes to grass patures is supposed to reduce incidence of grass tetany.....

3rdgeneration farmer":38brrdvi said:
The clover is unreal since weve had so much rain. If this is true what should we do?

As Angie said, clover is a legume and can certainly cause bloat and kill cattle. As to what to do - don't let them graze wet clover, fill them up with hay or grass prior to turning them out, limit their time on this pasture for a couple of weeks until their system becomes adjusted to the clover, and make sure you have plenty of anti-bloat blocks within easy access.

I got a warning from the Va Extension Vet yesterday via the extension agent e-mail that clover bloat was very problematic in Ky and VA this year and discussed managment strategies.

Not a factor here as i live in Aridzoan Va. all around me get rain and our ground is dry and cracking.

Big storm last night south of us dropped inches of rain and trees blown down etc.

I got two big lightening strikes and 1/10 inch of rain.

pdfangus":171z37c7 said:
I got a warning from the Va Extension Vet yesterday via the extension agent e-mail that clover bloat was very problematic in Ky and VA this year and discussed managment strategies.

Not a factor here as i live in Aridzoan Va. all around me get rain and our ground is dry and cracking.

Big storm last night south of us dropped inches of rain and trees blown down etc.

I got two big lightening strikes and 1/10 inch of rain.

Not to steal the thread, but that's brutal isn't it? Watching the storms come across the radar and just clip your county . . . or disintegrate just as they come into it.

angie":2emwzj65 said:
1982vett":2emwzj65 said:
Certainly. It is safe to assume the clover is in a rapid growth stage which, from what I have had explained to me, means increased nitrogen and certainly grass tetany could be an issue. Maybe I am confusing 2 or more things though as introduction of legumes to grass patures is supposed to reduce incidence of grass tetany.....

Angie I'd say you have it right and from the description of pasture I'd put bloat above tetany. I meant to point to tetnay if bloat were ruled out (pretty good stretch with a lot of clover). I've never heard of anyone around here having a case of grass tetnay so it may be more of a possibility than a probability.

I'm not taking the time to research this much, so here is a quick search on causes of grass tetnay.

"Factors which have been associated with this disease include low levels of magnesium (Mg) andhigh protein and potassium levels in the forage."
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/DS/DS13700.pdf

Grass tetany is relatively rare among cattle grazing pastures that contain a high percentage of legumes such as clover or alfalfa, because these forages typically contain more magnesium than grasses.
http://www.smartlic.com/smartlic_resour ... etany.html

Latest posts