Is it true horse slaughtering is illegal in the US?

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I have heard that packing plants for horses are going to be made illegal in the US it this true. If so what is going to be done with all the horses destined for the packing plant. Are they going to be wasted when people are starving on this planet?

yes they are shut down. the ones in tx are fighting in court to try to get cranked back up. it happened last week. i hear there is still one open way up in a northern state i cant remember which state. sale barns around here are not taking any horses without coggins papers. some sale barns are not taking any horses even if they have coggins papers.

for the people that got them closed down, they need to take all the cripple horses and others that will cost thousands of dollars to fix and turn them loose in their yards and let them take care of the horses. what are people gonna do with horses that get crippled in an accident etc? i have no idea what they was thinkin when they got them shut down?

Too bad people have humanized animals. Although i know people get attached to animals but if a horse gets crippled at least there was a place for them. No what is to be done shoot and bury them . Too bad the people who got this law passed doesn't have to pay for the care of the horses that should be going to slaughter. I see we are going to have a huge push of american horses into the canadian slaughter market.

There's still a market for horse meat mostly for Zoos. It's not illegal to slaughter a horse in Texas unless it's for Human consumption.

So why would that be allowed? Horses are good enough to feed other animals but not good enough for humans. Or is it like i suspest affluent people are imposing their judgement on what is right on others. Is it wrong to eat horse meat? not any more so than it is to eat beef. Go to a hindu country and eat beef or a muslium counrty and eat pork. It is a religious belief over there, why not eat horses no real answer except that the humanization of farm animals. Yes i like horses but i personally have not eaten one, but i would not stop someone if they wanted to. I don;t have the right to do that.

Texas has caught up to the rest of the country. Most folks are from the city, learn about animals including Livestock fron Disney type TV shows. I'm afraid that there will be a horse disaster with people dumping horses just like they do dogs now.

dewey":3cvwqtdp said:
yes they are shut down.

Since when? I knew the horse slaughter ban passed the House, but I thought it was still pending in the Senate. :?

It passed the senate this past session. they are still open as of now. It is on its second appeal with the Supreme court.The first appeal was upheld. That was the last thing I have heard about it. Now the following is just my own opinion I feel like they should be opend back up and the processing of horse meat should be allowed but I also feel there needs to be some controll on how they do the actual slaughter. Horses and cattle are two diffrent animals and should be killed in diffrent ways. I know I stand a chance on getting slammed for this but hey as I said this is just my opinion.

msscamp":3js0v0p4 said:
dewey":3js0v0p4 said:
yes they are shut down.

Since when? I knew the horse slaughter ban passed the House, but I thought it was still pending in the Senate. :?

back on Jan 24 we got word around the sale barn not to accept any horses donkey mules etc with out current coggins. the plants were still operating but shut down. i figure still operating meant processing what meat they had but not buying new horses to slaughter.

from what i understand there is a law in the books in Tx that was put in i think in the 1800's. it stated no horses could be slaughtered for human consumption in Tx. it had been long over looked or foregotten i have no idea who or when they went back and dug it up. i think they are looking at trying to change it.

That Law was passed in 1949. It's one of many Texas Laws on the books that are not enforced. Well, this one will be now, pending any other court action.

Thanks Waymoore, and Dewey. I appreciate the info.

Waymoore, for what it's worth, I agree with you 100%. :)

Latest posts