Is it shipping fever?

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't heard that one.
I have one now that I might try and talk hubby into tinkering on Not much to loose :)

Well let me know how it works for you. :) I'm thinking about vaccinating this one when I do my others (might be tomorrow), and we could compare results in a few weeks. ;-)

Only MLV I have on hand now is the Bovishield 5 VL5. My vet listed the most likely causes for this calf as the virals - BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV - or somnus or the pasturellas. Obviously not Lepto or Vibrio. So my guess is for this calf I'd really be best off using something that might target exactly what's causing the problem and no more, like just the Bovishield 5, and then something that just has somnus in it -- but I don't have either like that. So I guess I'll just use what I have and cross my fingers. (Unless I could pull one dose out of the viral bottle before mixing them. :idea:)

My only concern, personally, is stressing the immune system by vaccinating. Forgot to ask Doc about that. But I guess you could argue it's already so stressed by her being sick that vaccination wouldn't supress the immune system any more than it already is. And hopefully wouldn't go so far as to push her over the edge. I suppose such a "therapy" plan would be more for chronic cases than new cases.

She was 103.8 this evening, due for and retreated with Micotil.

Milkmaid - if we have a calf that is showing signs of getting sick, we give them Nasalgen or TRSV (?? Pfizer's version on Nasalgen). It is a live vaccine for IBR & PI3 - the thought being - it will kick in their immune system - doesn't care WHAT the disease it - just that the TOTAL immune system is working.
Vaccinating sick cattle with MLV is OK for therapy but don't expect them to get the imunity that they would normally get from the shot.
Giving MLV every week for cronic is interesting. Sounds pretty logical to me. I like the nasal product because NO SHOTS :p Sure hate using show cattle as pin cushion.

Latest posts