Is it possible....?

Help Support CattleToday:

vafarmgal

Reaction score
To catch diarreah from scouring calves? If so, Ive caught it. Ive had this for the past 4 days.

I kept thinking it was some kinda of bug going around but Ive had this for 4 days. Everything I eat goes right through. Just like my scouring calves.

Absolutely possible. and actually common.

The only problem is this...... what have you got?
E coli?
Salmonella?
Corona?
or any of the other dozen or so possiblities?

Always, always use super clean, sanitized items from calf to calf, and also yourself!

We wash and, or sanitize between calves, never share anything, and always clean ourselves with hot water, soap, and sanitizing gel.

We also use alot of bleach when cleaning up the bottles, nipples, buckets, balling guns, etc.

Always assume that your hands etc are contaminated when you come away from the calves. We start using disposable latex gloves when we have to deal with sick calves as well, sure makes things easier.

But don't beat yourself up over it, it can happen easily, and has happened to me years ago, not fun, but an unpleasant reminder that we need to keep diligent about sanitation.

Good luck!

Yes, it is entirely possible for people to get "the runs" from the calves. Happened to me once, apparently I didn't wash-up as well as I thought I had. Clean/sanitize all the equipment between using from calf to calf. Wash and re-wash your hands etc.

Katherine

If it continues, I'd see your Dr. I (unfortunately) got Crypto 2 years ago. (I no longer keep a bag of licorice in the truck to snack on while checking cattle.) Drink plenty so you don't get weak and dehydrated. It was the quickest diet plan I had ever been on, and after 2 days in the hospital, the most expensive too. :roll: Take care!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Well this is day 5 and still not better, Im going to the DR in the morning at 9:00. Im getting a little bit weak now, my arms kinda feel like speghetti. But Ive been drinking plenty of fludis. Hope to get some sort of relief tomorow.

Ill keep ya posted!

I've also caught "crypto" from calves. Well, I'm assuming that but you can also get it from under cooked chicken. I spent 8 days in the hospital.

Never have caught it from calves. I have heard of people getting bangs disease and such so it is posible. Read an article in a vet mag. I my vets office that was talking about a lady nearly dieing from Salmonela from a horse. My advise to any one who cares is to wash up and keep everything as clean as can be.

Scotty

Well, I went to the DR today and she took some blood and "other" samples to take to the lab. Said she will let me know as soon as the results came back.

Until then, I'll just keep on keeping on....

Keep ya posted!

Just to be funny.. but taken from some of the advice on scours.. a couple raw eggs.. a shot of wiskey.. and a couple cap fulls of bleach.. you'd be better in no time! :D

Well, I got my results back and I have Crypto. My sister-in-law came over and gave me an IV for fluids, she's a RN. I lost 10 lbs in 7 days...not to healthy.

Anyway, Im feeling a little better now, guess im on my way to recovery.

Thanks for all your concerns!

Glad to hear you're feeling a little bettter. It is a very fast diet plan, isn't it! Guess it's a scour guard shot for you next year! ;-) (Just kidding!)

Wow, good luck, feel better, now that you know what you've got you can treat for the right ailment. Great to lose weight if you want/need to but not a great way to do it. :eek:

Katherine

When I was diagnosted with crypto, they gave me Eurithromyacin (sp?) which is also a cattle drug. It would have been cheaper getting it from my vet! :)

Latest posts