Is it possible to overfeed Timothy hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

MacB

Reaction score
I googled this question but didn't come up with any answer....

...is it possible to overfeed Timothy hay to cattle? I have 4 steers, about 800 lbs (they'll be ready to finish off this spring). I give them a bale a day, but I'm planning a camping trip next week... and instead of getting a neighbor to buck 'em their bale, I thought of just laying it out for them. After all, isn't it just about like grazing? I can see over eating maybe alfalfa, and especially corn stalks, but Timothy hay? Won't they be ok with that for 4 days?

If you're just "laying it out" you may get them to get hungry quicker because they will waste more if you just lay it out and not put it in a good and proper hay feeder. Cattle tend to waste quite a bit if it's just laid out than if it's in a feeder.

And no they won't get overfed on timothy.

IluvABbeef":2uq27vlq said:
If you're just "laying it out" you may get them to get hungry quicker because they will waste more if you just lay it out and not put it in a good and proper hay feeder. Cattle tend to waste quite a bit if it's just laid out than if it's in a feeder.

Without feeders - 1st day dining room, 2nd day bedroom, 3rd day bathroom

dun":1jupzkpz said:
IluvABbeef":1jupzkpz said:

Without feeders - 1st day dining room, 2nd day bedroom, 3rd day bathroom
:nod: :nod: Agreed!

Perfect... thanks for the tip about the feeder... right now, I'm just using an old masonry hand hod mixer... I'll customize it with some T-posts for now

thanks again!

Latest posts