Is he good enough?(pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

shanel

Reaction score
goodbull.jpg

This bull will soon be 3 yrs old ,i bought him last year for a easy calver,because i had 10 heifers,and 16 cows,so far i'm 15 days into my calving season and i've got 13 calves,i was figureing on using him one more time then selling him.But now i'm kinda wanting a black gelbvieh or a balancer.oh yeah a few of my cows are angus x sim but mostly full stock angus.

goodbull.jpg

Edit:
It seems I was too quick to try and help, but not quick enough to get it done before you :oops:

he looks pretty nice from my perspective. maybe somewhat coarse shouldered, but nice length and muscling. seems to be correct from what i can tell. 150 pounds would help him sell, but not essential for working condition.

overall, based on looks with no numbers and no data, a nice choice.

If you fed him about 10-15 pounds of grain and hay per day in a month or so I bet hed look even better.

He wouldn't if that is all he was getting..

2% of a 2000 lb. bull would be a 40 lbs. per day requirement.

Sheesh, you folks are stingy with the feed.

Get him on some feed for a while and he will fill out. I think he is good enough quality to use as a bull.

MikeC":x1i4gct1 said:
If you fed him about 10-15 pounds of grain and hay per day in a month or so I bet hed look even better.

Mike, I think what he means is 15 lbs of grain plus free choice hay....
At least I hope, or maybe his farm is run by Jennie craig from weight watchers.

Shanel,...my opinion is people are gettin a little too nit-picky on this one. That is a good lookin bull if you are lookin for calves. I don't claim to be able to judge a "show ring" bull, but he is a money maker. I'd take a young bull like him any day.

Caustic Burno":3eedhe7k said:
Grubbie I agree there have been far worse TAME bulls on here.

yep good lookin bull
Let him do what bulls do... :banana:

This bull will soon be 3 yrs old ,i bought him last year for a easy calver,because i had 10 heifers,and 16 cows,so far i'm 15 days into my calving season and i've got 13 calves,i was figureing on using him one more time then selling him.But now i'm kinda wanting a black gelbvieh or a balancer.oh yeah a few of my cows are angus x sim but mostly full stock angus.

You implied you already have calves out of him. He's not bad looking but the big question is what are the calves like? If he compliments your cows and is giving you the kind of calves you want then the other stuff is secondary.

MikeC":cztclacz said:

sheeshhh is right. The 2% rule doesn't apply to everything on the farm and some of you guys need to learn that. It's idiocy !!! Guess you feed the old front porch hound 2% as well for "maintenance". Feed him that much and the cow won't be able to hold him up after a while, but it won't matter anyway cause he won't be trying to breed anything. Just a big bucket of S&@t waiting on his 40-50 pound snack. (Don't forget a couple dozen donuts for brunch".)

You are dead on TB and to add to that I don't want a 2000 or 2200 pound bull, give me a 1500 pound range anyday.
I don't need a to feed that many grocieries to wasted beef, that a cow could be eating.
Grocieries here is grass. Too many problems with a bull that size and trying to keep him maintained when he has to put on his working clothes, no thanks.
Give me a moderate frame cow or bull anyday.

Caustic Burno":1w9dsv3a said:
You are dead on TB and to add to that I don't want a 2000 or 2200 pound bull, give me a 1500 pound range anyday.
I don't need a to feed that many grocieries to wasted beef, that a cow could be eating.
Grocieries here is grass. Too many problems with a bull that size and trying to keep him maintained when he has to put on his working clothes, no thanks.
Give me a moderate frame cow or bull anyday.

I agree with CB on the size of bulls. Too many people like that 2500 bull in the AI book and in the pasture. They seem to forget the problems that larger bulls cause. A 2000 lb. bull is large enoungh for most operations and the smaller 1500 to 1750 will likely be a better choice if retaining heifers.

CB "me too" on the smaller bulls. Seen to many cows broken down trying to hold up a big bull and then comes "the thrust". Only bull I ever owned I sold at less than 1500 lbs. Anything bigger than that would get packed.

TexasBred":1rdjaj79 said:
CB "me too" on the smaller bulls. Seen to many cows broken down trying to hold up a big bull and then comes "the thrust". Only bull I ever owned I sold at less than 1500 lbs. Anything bigger than that would get packed.
the thrust should come with no weight on the cow. ive had ton simmental bulls breed brahman cows and heifers with no problem.

Latest posts