Is he good enough?(pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":mlviaqz0 said:
TexasBred":mlviaqz0 said:
CB "me too" on the smaller bulls. Seen to many cows broken down trying to hold up a big bull and then comes "the thrust". Only bull I ever owned I sold at less than 1500 lbs. Anything bigger than that would get packed.
the thrust should come with no weight on the cow. ive had ton simmental bulls breed brahman cows and heifers with no problem.

Do it long enough and you'll lose one eventually. Guess i just don't see the need for such a big bull period.

TexasBred":dren7g15 said:
MikeC":dren7g15 said:
If you fed him about 10-15 pounds of grain and hay per day in a month or so I bet hed look even better.

He wouldn't if that is all he was getting..

2% of a 2000 lb. bull would be a 40 lbs. per day requirement.

Sheesh, you folks are stingy with the feed.

sheeshhh is right. The 2% rule doesn't apply to everything on the farm and some of you guys need to learn that. It's idiocy !!! Guess you feed the old front porch hound 2% as well for "maintenance". Feed him that much and the cow won't be able to hold him up after a while, but it won't matter anyway cause he won't be trying to breed anything. Just a big bucket of S&@t waiting on his 40-50 pound snack. (Don't forget a couple dozen donuts for brunch".)

TexasBred":1cdys8ll said:
MikeC":1cdys8ll said:
If you fed him about 10-15 pounds of grain and hay per day in a month or so I bet hed look even better.

He wouldn't if that is all he was getting..

2% of a 2000 lb. bull would be a 40 lbs. per day requirement.

Sheesh, you folks are stingy with the feed.

sheeshhh is right. The 2% rule doesn't apply to everything on the farm and some of you guys need to learn that. It's idiocy !!! Guess you feed the old front porch hound 2% as well for "maintenance". Feed him that much and the cow won't be able to hold him up after a while, but it won't matter anyway cause he won't be trying to breed anything. Just a big bucket of S&@t waiting on his 40-50 pound snack. (Don't forget a couple dozen donuts for brunch".)

They got to have 2% of SOMETHING to eat whether it be grass, hay or grain. When you got no grass, then it's got to be one or both of the other.

The bulls that won't breed are the ones who have been underfed.

Never had a problem with 2000+ lb. bulls hurting cows or heifers. If ya'll would give them the nutrition they need, maybe they'll be able to stand for a grown bull. :roll:

I have a couple of bulls that will run 1800 to 2000 LB. but I sure am not going to feed 40 or 50 LB of feed each a day. If they can't get by alot cheaper than that i don't have any use for them.