is castration worth the trouble?

Help Support CattleToday:

what?":2jv3vb3a said:
Brute 23":2jv3vb3a said:
Yes, I just talked about that with a guy at the auction barn Friday night.]

He said it like this. A bull calf vs a steer calf in exact same conditions sold in the #5-6 weight the bull will out weigh the steer. That being the reason for growth implants. ;-) (another cost you would factor in)
I WOULDN'T REALLY CONSIDER $.86 ANOTHER COST YOU WOULD NEED TO FACTOR IN CONSIDERING IT WOULD ONLY TAKE LESS THAN A POUND INCREASE IN WEIGHT TO GET YOUR INVESTMENT BACK. MAYBE THIS IS WHY SO MANY PRODUCERS ARE SELLING OUT. THEY CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

An expences is an expence and it needs to be calulated. I made zero comment to if it pays off in the end. Maybe the reason PRODUCERS are selling out is because they can't understand what they read :?:

I think the castration, worming, and shots might pay if you raise 5 to 6 wieght calves.... Most years we raise calves to 4 weights and ship em.....You see it works for us,as we can run more head of cattle per acre and get em bred back. Most any decent crossbred can raise a 400 lb calf no sweat, its that next 300 lbs that make a cow work, and were you as a producer spend the money. While you throwing around those money figures, did any of you figure in a dead calf loss. To each his own, you wish to jump through hoops to sell your heavier calves go for it. I think I will keep selling those good quality 4 weights that havent had any thing done to em. I sorta believe in the KISS theory.

I've banded at weaning. I've cut at birth. The gains I have seen are genetic. I've weaned 850 lb. steers and 800 lb. bulls. I just don't see enough difference to make a big deal of it. I think you should castrate when it is easiest for you.

I think What was trying to say that an implant costs $0.86? I checked with valley vet and the cost is $1.35. We implant twice, one at a month and then another at weaning. I don't consider it a cost because it returns $$$ in extra weight but it is an expense.

I saw a string of bull yearlings that brought $82 to $85 this past Saturday. Had they been steers would have brought over $90. The calves weighed 540+.

Latest posts