Is a 1977 El Camino a cool car?

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

MistyMorning

Reaction score
The daughter saw a black one for sale on the way to town the other day. Now she is a pretty good looking young lady and my hope is for her to get a car that the fellas don't like. Soooo I need to know if the fellas think this is a hot car or not. Thanks for your help! :D

MM if she is that goodlooking the boys will be after her even if she is driving an old hay truck.

MM
my daughter that is 22 wants an El Camino

and on a funnier note A good friend of mine her son is 15 and he says he wants a purple El Camino with yellow flames and a stripper pole in the back
you would just have to know this kid he is 15 and has been riding bulls for the last 3 yrs he has rode steers since he was 6 and is a pretty good hand
plus he looks like he is about 10 instead of 15 I seriously doubt he weighs 100lbs

Irregardless of the "cool factor", I would not want to put an inexperienced driver in a 77 el camino. Rear wheel drive, light rear end, plenty of power and torgue. Take it from someone who honed their winter driving skills in a 68 Chevelle SS with a 4-speed, you better learn quick or you're in the ditch. Come winter, all she will be able to do is cut donuts in your driveway. Not to mention it will get 10 mpg coasting downhill if she's lucky. But, what a cool car for Mom to play with!!!

MO_cows":1l2fptty said:
Irregardless of the "cool factor", I would not want to put an inexperienced driver in a 77 el camino. Rear wheel drive, light rear end, plenty of power and torgue. Take it from someone who honed their winter driving skills in a 68 Chevelle SS with a 4-speed, you better learn quick or you're in the ditch. Come winter, all she will be able to do is cut donuts in your driveway. Not to mention it will get 10 mpg coasting downhill if she's lucky. But, what a cool car for Mom to play with!!!
Heck
good thing I didn't ask you about my oldest daughters first vehicle
Chevy 1ton dually with a built 454 and a 4spd

My stepdad restored a 1950-something Ford pickup for my younger sister when she started driving. 3 on the tree, no power steering, no power brakes, no power period. She hated that ol' truck with a blue and purple passion but she would never hurt her daddy's feelings and tell him that because he put so much work into it. The high school boys thought it was the coolest thing ever. I think the engine gave up and she was ECSTATIC to get some little 4 banger Ford car.

Thanks for the responses folks, it appears this car would be somewhat cool by the responses so far, sooooo my tactic is to tell her it is way neat and she should get it. :D Thereby making her think it is not hot and she should not get it, :D get it? :D

I'm with the one person that said they didn't think it's a good "safe" car. They are very light in the back end, very easy to spin tires on, start wheel hopping, lose the back end in a corner... A wreck waiting to happen, maybe there's a reason they don't make them any more. Let alone the 33 yr. old car factor, i would not consider it a classic.

My second car was a 1970 nova 2 door,black, with a LT 1 350 and a Muncie 4 speed with the racing linkage.... Looking back on being 17 or 18 with an sr22 insurance rating that may not have been the best car either for a kid.... But now it would be a classic.

Alan

MistyMorning":38i7u365 said:
Thanks for the responses folks, it appears this car would be somewhat cool by the responses so far, sooooo my tactic is to tell her it is way neat and she should get it. :D Thereby making her think it is not hot and she should not get it, :D get it? :D

If she gets it anyway just make sure she always has a couple of bales of hay in the back, lots of grease guns and oil, a tractor jack and a roll of barb wire. A little cow manure would help as well but you'd want that in the floorboard.

TexasBred":av5c2tro said:
MistyMorning":av5c2tro said:

If she gets it anyway just make sure she always has a couple of bales of hay in the back, lots of grease guns and oil, a tractor jack and a roll of barb wire. A little cow manure would help as well but you'd want that in the floorboard.

At the very least that would scare away any potential suitors who are lazy.

im a chevy man,, years ago i thought i had to have a el camino,,, hated it... most unpractical vehicle i ever owned, but im sure she aint looking at that aspect.. 77 not really that cool they quit making chevelle/ el caminos after 1970 in my mind

A girl in my highschool had an old post office jeep. I think it was an international? Anyhow I think the steering wheel was on the wrong side too. Everyone in the whole school knew that girl because her ride stuck out like a sore thumb. For example "Becky was going her and I saw her there". "Who's Becky". "You know the Girl that drives the snow cone Jeep".

Walt

Gas mileage is going to suck big time and with all of the smog crap on that car (if some yahoo hasn't ripped it off) chances are it's going to wind up setting in your yard on blocks more than on the road - but hey, it is Minnessooooota! For a teenager, I'd steer clear of anything that old and make sure whatever you get has fuel injection, carburetors suck.

MistyMorning":3t6yf3d4 said:
Yeah, reverse psycology on a kid. If it works she's more gullible then her mother

It is very cool, if you have the money to turn it into a lowrider. Flames, fersure. Thumpin' stereo! She will be so hotttt in that thing, you'll get to sleep twice in the next 5 years.

4th generation el caminos= not cool. Well there might be the rare exception. I think some are being awfully presumptious about the setup of this car... I mean truck. He didn't mention is being a SS so more than likely its a 350 2-barrel V8 w/ a whoping 145hp. 3 speed at that. If your daughter couldn't handle that kinda "torque", she doesn't needa be driving. On the other hand, if its the 454 w/ turbo 400, you should get it for yourself!

Latest posts