irritating family member and beyond?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
How many out there have a irritating, busy body family member, and how do you deal with them?

Gail

GMN":6epmcp8n said:
How many out there have a irritating, busy body family member, and how do you deal with them?

Gail

Every family has one I like the straight on approach of you take care of your business as I have a full time job taking care of mine.
If that doesn't work it is followed up with the next question of did a bulldozer follow you here, when the reply is no I say good then the road to your house is not tore up.

Life is to short for that kind of crap IMO.

I always ask myself and tell others " If they weren't a member of your family would you put up with this crap ? "

Had a cousin who'd always give his opinon about anything or anyone whether it was fact or fiction, good or bad, or just downright hurtfull. After awhile, when he'd stop by I'd just say, "my God, look what the cat drug in and the dog didn't have sense to drag back out". After awhile he got the hint and the cat don't drag him in any more. I am close to the vest and don't meddle in the affairs of others and if I have nothing good to say about someone then I don't say nothing. He was just the opposite.

I have posted on this many many times. I think the winner, hands down, is my Father-in-law. He hates me, and will not spare the opportunity to express it. I tore the family apart. I took his son. I ruined the chances he had of reuniting his sons in Tishomingo. I am responsible for the family not communicating. I am a control freak. I could go on all day...

He no longer visits here. The last time he came, I went out to his truck and invited him in, warmly. He refused and sat in the heat until my husband came home from work an hour later.

Did I mention he has a girlfriend my age? He's 71. I'm 44. That he was famously unfaithful to his wife, my mother-in-law, for years? That he is now in the process of selling out their homeplace and has lied to his own sons about the value of the property? His own sons?

Yep, he's a piece of work, and there isn't enough space here.

I figured when My "thorn" died I could start to relax
Somehow shes still managing to stir up trouble .

If its an in-law ya gotta grin and bear it.
If its yours ,get as far away as possible or protect your family somehow.

Best I came up with is, if I don't know about it it can't hurt me--I didn't go anywhere that she was,I never mentioned her name and there was a standing rule- don't tell me any of the crap shes doing/saying.
That actually worked pretty good for several years.
Except- come to find out when I wasn't around for target practice she started in on my kids. And hubby let her do it to them too :devil2:
It was tough to forgive him for the hell he let her put me thru- not sure I can forgive him for letting her do it to our kids.

Howdyjabo":34pmsvct said:
I figured when My "thorn" died I could start to relax
Somehow shes still managing to stir up trouble .

If its an in-law ya gotta grin and bear it.
If its yours ,get as far away as possible or protect your family somehow.

Best I came up with is, if I don't know about it it can't hurt me--I didn't go anywhere that she was,I never mentioned her name and there was a standing rule- don't tell me any of the crap shes doing/saying.
That actually worked pretty good for several years.
Except- come to find out when I wasn't around for target practice she started in on my kids. And hubby let her do it to them too :devil2:
It was tough to forgive him for the be nice he let her put me thru- not sure I can forgive him for letting her do it to our kids.

Yes, I have to watch what I say about it, as I am not really a member of the family when it comes to this sort of thing. I keep my opinions to myself, and when asked, I just remind my husband that "I am not really a Nichols."

The last time my hub failed to cover me when the old man insulted me, he heard about it all the way home and for a couple of months afterward. I thought about some sort of signal between us, but what I settled on was that if he starts crap, I am leaving. That is how you will know I am upset.

good sub my thron in the side is my bro.he dont like the way i do things.tells me how i need todo things.tells me what todo,some days i blow sky high an unload on him .an sometimes i can ignore him.

bigbull338":2ektqqib said:
good sub my thron in the side is my bro.he dont like the way i do things.tells me how i need todo things.tells me what todo,some days i blow sky high an unload on him .an sometimes i can ignore him.

Is he an older or younger brother?

Gail

bigbull338":23htxhho said:
an older bro,likes to tell how todo things.but wont lift a hand to help.

Everyone has someone like that in their family. All blow and no go.

I shouldn't comment because some of my family probably think that I'm the black sheep.
What's the old expression..."like a blister...always shows up after the work is done"
DMc

I would now say my oldest sister. You would think that after working road construction, military service, marrying, raising two kids and working on a farm and ranch that she would get the hint that she cannot boss me around anymore.
Last time she did I stood up to her and started telling her the facts and she held her hand up in my face and Mom had to butt in and tell ME to settle down.
Husband has a good time by telling her husband that he needs to do something about her bad hair days, he loves doing that especially when she is sitting right there.

Niece married one of those opinionated twits that know nothing about the subject under discussion, but will argue his point anyway. We have nothing to do with him, and never attend any function where he might be, sibling reunions exclude him as there are three of us who will not attend if he is there, thank goodness he is only an in-law.

Well, I'm a pretty straight up kind of person so the person usually knows right off the bat if they've irritated me in some way. It kind of makes or break the relationship. They either quit being nosy, gossipy, gripey or whatever offense they have committed or they get ticked. Either way, it's a win win situation for me, they stop or they leave me alone.
;-)

Have a SIL like that.Rest of the family dreads the day she visits. I love it since I like aggitating the he(( out of her. She probably visits us about every 2 yrs. And usally thats during deer season when i'm not home much.

Cal

I have a father-in-law that I really had a hard time with. We don't have kids and he made me feel pretty useless for not having them. He stayed with us for awhile and it was getting ugly. I was trying to get a long but he just made me feel like everything I did was wrong. Then I talked to one of my friends and thought I would get sympathy. I didn't. She asked if he was a Christian, I said no. She then told me that he didn't have the Holy Spirit guiding his actions but I did. She knew he knew I was a Christian and said that I am Christ's representative to him and should act like it. It hit hard and I had to swallow a lot of pride and feelings but she was right. I went back with a different attitude and now I love my father-in-law. He is even starting to like me a bit now too, I think. ;-)

Good post Victoria. I think we could all learn from that.

My thorn would have to be my mother. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death. She was an only child, for starters. Not spoiled, but still had no siblings so she knows how all things need to be handled. Sunday she told me she wanted me to come over one day this week - she needs to have a mother-son talk with me. That is O.K., except she is 80 and I'm almost 56. Seems like I did something wrong so I have to face the music. I haven't gone over there yet, but I will before the week is out. And she knows that after our talk I will still do what I want to. But she still has to let me know her side of it. She could always swing a mean belt, so I hope she doesn't spank me!! :roll:

jw":ovuxrelz said:
Sunday she told me she wanted me to come over one day this week - she needs to have a mother-son talk with me. That is O.K., except she is 80 and I'm almost 56. Seems like I did something wrong so I have to face the music. I haven't gone over there yet, but I will before the week is out. And she knows that after our talk I will still do what I want to. But she still has to let me know her side of it. She could always swing a mean belt, so I hope she doesn't spank me!! :roll:

Good post. My mothers mother seemed to be the sweetest thing. I guess it can skip a generation. Of course they always say the grandparents spoil the child.

My Dad can be purty rough but I'm sure i got it better than he did with his. Of course it seems i can't find much fault with his Dad.

Parents are tough.... Grandparents seem to be the stuff. It's still happening with my 14 year old.

I always put it down to a parents need to pontificate. I find myself doing it at times.

Latest posts