Internet services

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I want to move up to a faster internet service. The only service available to us is DirectWay, as far as I know. Are any of you using DW? What do you think? Or is there something else you can recommend? Thanks...

Good question....I have been looking into it also...can't wait for some replies!

I can let you know next week. They said they would be out on Monday to install DirectWay. It was the only service available to me also. Tired of using AT&T Worldnet and Earthlink. Both are too slow and unreliable. I haven't got that much time to spend on this computer and don't want to wait for 20 minutes while a picture downloads. I'll get back to you on this.

Our phone company has DSL. Much, much faster than dial-up. Don't know if your phone company can provide it or not to you. I can't get DSL at the farm.

You might check with them and see what they have to offer. I have seen Direct Way advertised but it is only one way faster. By that I mean it will still use your phone line to request and the reply will come back over the satellite. It will be faster than dial-up for sure. You see Direct Way does not uplink to the satellite only downlinks. Hope this helps.

I know a man who I think is using Directway. He liked the download fine but he , if I remember correctly , thought the upload was slow.

Does this mean we will be getting more pictures from you? Maybe a picture of your oil well monthly settlement check?

Casa Paloma":1ppgzio7 said:
I can let you know next week. They said they would be out on Monday to install DirectWay. It was the only service available to me also. Tired of using AT&T Worldnet and Earthlink. Both are too slow and unreliable. I haven't got that much time to spend on this computer and don't want to wait for 20 minutes while a picture downloads. I'll get back to you on this.

Thanks. I'd appreciate your input.

flaboy":dwlj1sg4 said:
Our phone company has DSL. Much, much faster than dial-up. Don't know if your phone company can provide it or not to you. I can't get DSL at the farm.

You might check with them and see what they have to offer. I have seen Direct Way advertised but it is only one way faster. By that I mean it will still use your phone line to request and the reply will come back over the satellite. It will be faster than dial-up for sure. You see Direct Way does not uplink to the satellite only downlinks. Hope this helps.

We're on SBC. They offer DSL, but not where I live. I've tried to get something out of them about when they think it'll be in my area, but no luck on that.

ollie'":1afmj51a said:
I know a man who I think is using Directway. He liked the download fine but he , if I remember correctly , thought the upload was slow.

Does this mean we will be getting more pictures from you? Maybe a picture of your oil well monthly settlement check?

I see your split personality has taken over! Who am I speaking to? ollie or ollie'? Does it really matter? I doubt you'll see many photos from me. I'm not smart enough to tell much about an animal from a photo. But the check? Maybe...

Check around for different service providers to see if they offer wireless- much quicker & reliable then satellite , cable , dsl, etc
Alot of providers are looking for silo's , etc to hang an antenna on (which would give you free service) to get access to rural folks - If you need help finding a company in your area , let me know - I'll ask my provider to find one for you

waspfarmer":1bar6zcs said:
Check around for different service providers to see if they offer wireless- much quicker & reliable then satellite , cable , dsl, etc
Alot of providers are looking for silo's , etc to hang an antenna on (which would give you free service) to get access to rural folks - If you need help finding a company in your area , let me know - I'll ask my provider to find one for you

My current ISP has wireless, but I'm too far from town. A group got some sort of grant and put in wireless service for several small towns SW of me. At the time they said they were planning to expand the service to other rural areas. But that's been a couple of years and I haven't heard any more about it. I've really looked around and DirecWay seems to be my only option. SBC is trying to get the state to de-regulate them with the promise that they'll expand their DSL service to more rural areas, but they won't make any committments as to when that will happen. No silos in my area. The tallest things are drilling rigs and they don't stay around long enough to be of any help. :p

Frankie,

I used DirectWay at the ranch for a couple of years. Think I was paying around $60/mo. It was so bad I finally went back to BellSouth dial-up. It's great for downloading big files like pictures but in actual use it is almost as slow as dialup. Plus it is tempermental and tech support is in India and with my southern accent we had a big problem communicating. I'll give you my equipment (dish, modem,etc) if you want to come and get it. Think it cost around $500.

A local guy finally put in wireless in the area. It's fantastic! :D

M Gravlee":24e7gxpt said:
tech support is in India and with my southern accent we had a big problem communicating.

I don;t have a southern accent but I can;t understand them folks either. Dell has their support from that area. STINKS

dun

M Gravlee":2cn2bw0o said:
Frankie,

I used DirectWay at the ranch for a couple of years. Think I was paying around $60/mo. It was so bad I finally went back to BellSouth dial-up. It's great for downloading big files like pictures but in actual use it is almost as slow as dialup. Plus it is tempermental and tech support is in India and with my southern accent we had a big problem communicating. I'll give you my equipment (dish, modem,etc) if you want to come and get it. Think it cost around $500.

A local guy finally put in wireless in the area. It's fantastic! :D

Stop! You're making me jealous. I've had the offer of free equipment from a couple of people. Maybe that should tell me something? :( We lose our DirecTv when it rains. I wonder if the same thing happens to DirecWay?

If I could have got a hold on the little Indian that I got for my Dell expert the other day .....Me and him didn't click too well. Finally I let him go through his pitch asking all the questions about buying cartridges. He finally ran out of questions and asked why I was calling. I told him keep guessing you are surely getting closer.

Best dial-up I ve ever used Erol's internet (RCN) never disconnected . don't expect much from dial up guys 53kbps is the fastest your gonna get . DSL you have to live a Central office to get a nice decent speed. and Cable (what I use now) is great . I pay 39.99 a month usually DL anything at about 300kbps it all depends on the website.

i was wondering about dway and if it went out with bad weather like the tv does. seems wireless may be the way to go if we can get it.