Internet router advice

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Does the type of router one has make a huge difference in how the quality of service?

Until recently, I had the basic internet service with 2M speed. I have a Belkin router that is five years old. It says it is a basic router and is a 150. I could watch Netflix and such with no problem; the issue was if Netflix was going, someone was on a laptop, and someone else on their phone using wifi, Netflix would pause frequently, or one device might stop working altogether.

I upgrade internet to 5M. I can tell it is faster. Devices seem to be working ok now, but knowing my luck, they will slow down just when I don't need them to. So, should I get a new, better router, for maximum service, or is the one I have fine?

Your router is probably the 802.11 G, although maybe it has N designation. The latest protocol is AC which is a big step up again, as it is a GIgabyte router (no longer MB).

So look for a 802.11 AC router and you will eliminate the router as an issue. So yes, an upgrade should help substantially.

Just researched the info for your router, so it is N designate. It should be able to handle anything, but an upgrade won't hurt.

Thanks for the info.

I just don't know a lot about specifics of technology off the top of my head. I am capable, but just not interested. I remember the days when a VCR and Atari game systems were the latest tech; I was an expert with those. I was even decent on knowledge when I got my first cell phone in 1995 and a computer with Windows 95 a year or so later, but my interest in technology seems to have waned over the years.

herofan":3sgflh4a said:
Thanks for the info.

I just don't know a lot about specifics of technology off the top of my head. I am capable, but just not interested. I remember the days when a VCR and Atari game systems were the latest tech; I was an expert with those. I was even decent on knowledge when I got my first cell phone in 1995 and a computer with Windows 95 a year or so later, but my interest in technology seems to have waned over the years.
Haha, that is how I am not much interest in it only want to use the end product for the basics.

Ken

You should be fine, but if you have a desktop, I would run a ethernet cable to it. You'll maintain speed a lot better, specially when doing a lot of downloading.

Latest posts