Internet and Satellite Auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl":gcho55oi said:
What do you guys think about Internet and Satellite Auctions? What are the benefits of using them?

Thanks in advance!!!!

I like them. Instead of rolling out of here at darkthirty in the morning, driving a few hundred miles, I can set in the living room and watch. If I were bidding, I'd go in person. The benefit is that they reach a lot more people than will show up at the sale facility. But I do know people who have done the Satellite auction on RFD only once and claim it wasn't worth the price. They thought the DV internet auction might be worthwhile. My internet connection isn't good enough for the DV auction though.

i for 1 like internet an dish cattle auctions.an i watch both of them.i watch reg beefmaster sales on the pc.an im a reg buyer on the pc as well.ive never bought off the dish auctions.an i dont plan on it.an the pc sales id buy from i know the cattle an sale managers.an i would buy off the pc if i wanted the cattle.

I've spoken with about half a dozen operations and it's been a pretty solid consensus that the Internet is the way to go. With the amount of competition between the webcast guys, the systems

Based on what sellers have told me, satellite costs $4,000/hour vs about $2,000 per day for the Internet. That can mean a difference of $2,000 vs $12,000 for a three hour sale. Also, none of the Internet guys are going to cut your sale off at the end if you go over some time limit. Nothing would piss me off more than paying $20,000 for five hours of air-time only to have the tail end of my sale preempted by Big Joe's Polka Show or some show on model trains because the auctioneer didn't rush the sale enough.

You also don't get impulse buyers on RFD, they have to have planned on buying before the sale to call in. I know I've bought a few cattle off the web that I didn't plan on buying before the sale because they dropped. I wouldn't have gotten them if those sales were on TV.

The only negative of the Internet is the Internet connections themselves.

We use Superior on RFD TV and it has really paid off. This spring was the third time we have used it. It is spendy but so far it has made us around 5 times as much as we have spent on it.

BRG

TN...on another thread you asked about Camp Cooley. They usually have their sales on the internet so since you can't be there you might check it out.