Intermed. Wheatgrass "Haymaker"-for arid climates

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlegrazer

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone here has heard about the new variety of Intermediate Wheatgrass called "Haymaker." It has incredible forage quantity and quality. Our family is growing a seed field in western NE and after harvesting the seed, we baled it for hay and were amazed at the amount of material it yielded (I don't know the figures off hand but can get them for anyone interested). It is good for both hay and grazing in low rainfall areas of the great plains. :lol:

The problem with a new variety is that little literature is available for those of you whom it would be useful to. I just wanted to start a discussion on this so that the cattle community can benefit from this very productive new cultivar.
:D
More info at:
http://ardreports.unl.edu/2004/germplas ... rass1.html

I checked the records and we baled approximately 5000 lbs/acre after combining the seed. But that does include some irrigation throughout the growing season to increase yield. Our annual rainfall is about 13"/year at the farm.

8)

cattlegrazer":2e8rft1z said:
Are you familiar with the area? My family's farm is North of Morrill on the Sioux-Scotts Bluff County Line. Currently I am at graduate school at the University of NE-Lincoln.

Heavens yes, born and raised in the Panhandle area! We used to have a ranch north of Fort Laramie, and now I live a few miles west of Torrington - small world, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

msscamp":237c5ve2 said:
cattlegrazer":237c5ve2 said:
Are you familiar with the area? My family's farm is North of Morrill on the Sioux-Scotts Bluff County Line. Currently I am at graduate school at the University of NE-Lincoln.

Heavens yes, born and raised in the Panhandle area! We used to have a ranch north of Fort Laramie, and now I live a few miles west of Torrington - small world, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really like our little part of the world... This year we are getting a much more moist jump-start to the grazing season compared to the recent years! What does your cattle herd consist of? :?: :?: :?:

Now, I know there are more of you from arid climates that read these posts... Let's start some discussion about "Haymaker" so it can start a positive reputation. This hardy, robust, cool-season grass was bred especially for the cattle community of the High Plains! It can be used for hay production for use during winter months, or as a early spring/late fall grazing alternative to get the animals off of warm-season pastures. It will even continue to grow late into October depending where you are. :clap:

:D I hope everyone had a Happy Easter weekend! :D

cattlegrazer":mr5y6hkv said:
I really like our little part of the world... This year we are getting a much more moist jump-start to the grazing season compared to the recent years! What does your cattle herd consist of? :?: :?: :?:

Me too! The grass is greener, earlier than I can remember for many years. Dad and Mom retired a few years back, so we don't have all that many cows anymore. What we do have is predominately Murray Grey with a few black brockles mixed in. What do you raise? Hope your Easter was good, too!

Well, I'm now situated in the "Southern" High Plains - upper Texas panhandle - and wonder if this is too tropical for that cultivar? If I read this right, it sounds like it could fill the grazing voids we sometimes have down here (1) between the end of winter wheat and spring green up, and (2) before wheat pasture is ready in October/November, depending on rain. Wait a minute. We don't get rain, that's right. Just grass fires.

To be honest Bernard, I'm not too sure how it would do down there. What are your average temps throughout the year? Being a cool season grass, I am not sure how "cool" it needs to be to stimulate growth. I will check on that and get back to you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is Cenchrus Cilliaris available in the arid areas,it is one of the most popular grasses in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe.The Australians have done intensive breeding with this grass, producing several new cultivars.

So if it is a 'cool season' grass how does it do in a high desert, cold area? Have some dryland area that could be planted, just haven't found anything yet that will grow very good without some irrigation. We get around 10" of rain/year mostly in winter snow, so the only time it would have enough moisture to grow is right now, in the spring. There is about 3 weeks were there is enough moisture, after the snow melts and it warms above 10 or so at night, and enough heat for anything to grow naturally-after that you'd better find irrigated pasture or hay.
Still there is lots of marginal ground around a guy could plant and maybe get a months worth of feed out of every spring-tell ya what-send me a couple bags to test for ya and I'll let you know how it works. :shock: 8)

NorCalFarms, I think it would do pretty well up there. You should be able to get a considerable amount of growth in the spring to graze and then I would lay off of it until the following spring. If you had some late summer moisture, it may even grow significantly enough to graze in the fall. I will send you a pm for your info so we can ship it out to you. The good thing about wheatgrasses is that they seem to take intense grazing fairly well, as long as they are allowed to recouperate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andybob":3gzit7ma said:
Is Cenchrus Cilliaris available in the arid areas,it is one of the most popular grasses in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe.The Australians have done intensive breeding with this grass, producing several new cultivars.

I had never heard of that grass and did some looking around on the web for info. It appears to be more of a tropical/sub-tropical species and definitely wouldn't survive our winters here. I even found several websites that considered it an invasive exotic species. But, with its high forage quality, it may be worth the risk for some people. Thanks for your input though, I enjoy researching new species whenever possible!

The Cenchrus Ciliaris will takes very low temperatures, but might not stand a combination of cold and wet.Our winters could be extremely cold, but we had zero precipitation during our winters.
I am quickly learning the local grasses and legumes, but like to
look at other possibilities,especially grasses I am more familiar with.

I am not sure what you mean by extremely low temperatures but we also get snow on and off during the winter. I guess I am not too interested in introducing any more exotic species into this part of the country. It seems as though they are all that exist in some areas. However, if it works for you then I would probably use it.

This intermediate wheatgrass variety is extremely productive and can be established quickly. We produce several different grass and wildflower seeds on our family farm and have enjoyed the change from traditional crops. :lol: :) :lol:

Latest posts