Interesting set of horse papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Horse threads usually go about as far as you can sling loose stool here, but I like the way this little horse is bred. He's a bleached out palomino now, and grass fat. Be glad to see him after a few months of riding. Thoughts?
Hollywood jack
Hollywood dun it
Doc's prescription
Peppy San
Hollywood red
Genuine doc

He should be a workin' fool with those bloodlines! Looks like he's got good bone and some good muscling to go along with it! Looks like a cremello.... How old?

Long story, I'll shorten it as best I can. Horse is 14. Was broke out at 3, and parked. Then sent to reining guy at 6 or 7 and parked again for a year. Then he was sent out for 90 days of heeling. Then he wound being trail ridden a bunch. Not sure how that came about. It was quit often in the state parks here. Hadn't been used in atleast 2 years. He rode off this evening like he was rode yesterday. Kids spun a rope on him this evening, and I round penned him one when we came. Nothing about the rope seems to upset him. Under his tail, between his legs. Gonna wait a while to heel something on him. I'd like to know where his buttons are, and what holes are in him, before we tie off to anything. I hadn't seen a set of papers like that in a while. Bought the horse cheap, but called the guy that roped on it, and the reiner. Both spoke highly of the horse.

Color, I'd have to look and see what aqha papers say. Hadn't looked. Not quit a cremelo, more of a perlino.

By the color of the eyes I'd say Cremello too. Or Perlino. Love the pedigree. We have a Playgun granddaughter here, she is just gorgeous. Need to do more with her...

wbvs58":3oa8z2nk said:
Can't really see much the glare from the shiny saddle is blinding me.
Ken

The runt won that the other day. It swallows her, and had the widest tree I've ever seen. Luckily, it fit this horse.

Been a long time, since I read up on cremelo, and perlino. Very interesting stuff. It's the last color i would have picked, but after reading, its not as bad as I had thought.

If he's a good one BF it doesn't matter what color he is. Hope that he works out well for you. He should have a real nice handle on him if he was with a good reining horse trainer. They don't forget what they learned if he was started right.

He's been ridden about everyday for over three weeks now. Hauled him twice. 25 or so trips out of the box, and roped sleds from him a bunch. Likes a cow, and a big motor. Had to park him Thursday and Friday. He was short stepping his right back leg. Got over it, and been ridden since. Hope nothing's going on with his hip or stifle.

Should be a good, cowy, quick footed pony. My heel horse is a Doc's hickory/Peppy san bred horse. He was cutting horse trained prior to roping...has worked out well. There is a rope horse trainer I know in the Stephenville area that starts all of his ropers as reiners for about 60 days, then moves to roping.

ropinranger":y5tpgkj2 said:
Should be a good, cowy, quick footed pony. My heel horse is a Doc's hickory/Peppy san bred horse. He was cutting horse trained prior to roping...has worked out well. There is a rope horse trainer I know in the Stephenville area that starts all of his ropers as reiners for about 60 days, then moves to roping.
That's called giving them a "foundation." Every horse, no matter what discipline they go on to, needs to be started right. "60 days" is just barely a start on the basics that every horse should have.......

Brangus, don't really know what you mean there...I did say a "start" --so, to be more exact...he puts 30 days or so on them(they know how to go, stop, turn, back, and are beginning to neck rein, can change gaits with little to no pressure, etc.), then puts 60 days of reining training on them, then moves them to roping(by that time they will stop with little to no rein pressure, move off the leg, and really keep their hind end engaged, spin, roll back, flying lead changes..)...so, yeah, that's a pretty good foundation(which we call a start, or at least I do, here), but -- that being said, most cow horses on the working ranches are out in the pasture with the cattle after a few days under saddle in the arena/round pen; so I don't really know what you are saying about the 60 day deal; after 60 days, my ponies can move off the leg, the reins, and pretty much are starting to get "ahold" of what they are supposed to do with a cow. Of course, I do know some dressage trainers that take 6 months before they lope/gallop a horse...that's the first ride here.

Everyone has a diferent idea of 30 days training. And a different idea of 60 days reining training. When I trained horses for a living. It was amazing how much faster some came along than others. One year I started 3 full siblings all the same age and handled the same. If I didn't know better would of said 3 blood lines.

Latest posts