Interesting H braces

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There are some interesting H braces on a new fence west of me. Today I had the camera with so I took some pictures. The first one they used the H on both sides of a gate. The second is at a turn in the fence. The third is in a low spot where the wire tends to pull the posts. Here lots of people just wire a big rock to the fence wire to hold it down. This guy used an old tire, a couple sacks of quick crete and a U shaped piece of rebar. That thing isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Attachments

• P3272427.JPG
    P3272427.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 146
  • P3272428.JPG
    P3272428.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 146
  • P3272429.JPG
    P3272429.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 142
Not something you would see around here but a good idea.

I've got a fence that crosses a rainy weather creek that's about 4' deep. At some point someone tied a bunch of aluminum window frames to the wire to keep cows from walking under. Works better than any quick fixes I've tried.

Not something you would see around here but a good idea.

I've got a fence that crosses a rainy weather creek that's about 4' deep. At some point someone tied a bunch of aluminum window frames to the wire to keep cows from walking under. Works better than any quick fixes I've tried.
First time I have ever seen them. I wonder what they used to set them. They have to be heavy. There are some set in the bottom of steep draws where I don't see how they got a piece of equipment in there to set the brace in place.

I get the tire in the low spot, but does the bottom of the H-Brace in the others go through those big honkin pieces of concrete?
It looks to go through the concrete. Can't be cheap to build and move. But you wouldn't have to worry about building another H brace for several life times.

No visible track leading to them. And this country has so low of rain fall it doesn't heal itself for several years. Poured in place would require a pump truck with a very long snorkel. I have no idea how they did it. I know the guy on the next place down stream from there. Next time I see him I will ask how they did it.

Pour in place and carry in the water, create, etc., on a 4 wheeler/sxs. That, or maybe it was the aliens that have been setting all those oblusks around....

I would assume they were hauled and set by how they match the slope of the land. If they were poured in place they did a horrible job leveling the Hs up for the gate.

We set huge cement blocks for equipment at work to sit on and even some tanks. I was OCD about them being level. That gate set up makes my heart hurt a little.

There are some interesting H braces on a new fence west of me. Today I had the camera with so I took some pictures. The first one they used the H on both sides of a gate. The second is at a turn in the fence. The third is in a low spot where the wire tends to pull the posts. Here lots of people just wire a big rock to the fence wire to hold it down. This guy used an old tire, a couple sacks of quick crete and a U shaped piece of rebar. That thing isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
The concrete filled tire chained to the fence wire is interesting. I have two vices in my shop and the stands are setting in a concrete/tire base. Pretty heavy.
The only downside I can see is a curious cow pushing it around and pulling the fence down. We have all seen how easily they can push a 1000lb roll of hay. Maybe there is a substantial rod running into the ground.

What do you consider doing it right?
A cubic yard of concrete wieghs 2 tons.... simple math you can't pull wire to proper tension on those. No way...
Someone either didn't won't to properly drive post or they didn't have a portable welder....I ain't saying it's halfazz because alot of work went into it. Just not the brightest solution... certainly interesting though

Latest posts