Interesting article on Texas history

Help Support CattleToday:

Good read . Thanks for posting.

Funny what reading something will make you remember. I remembered as a small child seeing a old photograph of my grandmother, my very young mother and a little small terrier dog....
I ask grandma what happened to that little dog.
She growled, those dam mescun cotten pickers ate it. :shock:

In the 30s, my father sharecropped some land that is now under Lake Fork, and he and his parents and one sister seasonally migrated out to Nolan County (near Sweetwater) to pick dry land cotton.
I never heard my parents talk about KKK but do know it was a big part of Texas politics back then. It's presence and influence was taught in school when I was young. In Texas, Miriam Ferguson was known as 'Ma' Ferguson. Her husband, James, was previously elected gov but was impeached and removed from office because of a variety of offenses, some real, some not so clear, but the Texas attorney general recovered nearly $1 million from J. Ferguson of Texas taxpayer $$..a huge sum back then.

Back in the 20's and 30's dad was working the oil fields in Goose Creek and Barbers Hill for his uncle and grandfather. His grandpa owned several saw mills and was supplying lumber for the oil derricks.
My great grandfather was very active in the KKK and Masons that is what ran east Texas. Politics were shaped and ran from reconstruction to LBJ by the jaybird peckerwood war.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/wfj01

Latest posts