Inline Hay Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

We hauled hay yesterday also. Nothing beats a flatbed trailer for us 14 on one 18 on the other. But we have to stack the hay when we get it back to the barn.

It's different if you are just transporting vs actually feeding. Just transporting it doesnt matter because like that, you have to have a tractor on both sides to stack. To actually feed with though, you only have to have one tractor to load out. You whip in and dump them then go to the next place. That's where the dump trailers shine.

For us, not needing a tractor to unload is a huge advantage of the dump trailer - but we don't stack our hay in the barn, either. We stack outside and rarely have to restack hay unloaded from a dump trailer. If your bales are pushed together tight on the trailer, they should come off in a solid row and stay that way if the ground's level. Mine's very often not, and we end up having to push a bale back in line once in awhile, but having to have a tractor to unload would defeat one of the biggest advantages of the dump trailer for us.

On the other hand we hardly ever feed more than 1 or 2 bales in a pasture at a time, so feeding with a dump trailer is something we would rarely do. We feed almost everything with a hydraulic bale spike on a truck, or occasionally with a tractor.

5S Cattle said:
JMJ Farms said:
Moved 100 rolls yesterday. Took me 5 hours. Could have cut an hour off of that if I had some help to drive either the truck or tractor.

How long is that trailer?
They sell it as a 40'. The cradle actually measures 42'. The gooseneck is about 8'. So 50' total length.

they make one that will pick the bales up and put them on the trailer.. it even stacks one row on top of the two bottom rows..

then it lifts up and leaves them all in a nice pyramid..

i want it!