Injecting bales with corn syrup

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Anyone have experience injecting roundbales with distiller syrup? If so how did it go and how did you go about injecting?
THanks in advance

I have never heard of anybody injecting bales with syrup, but I guess that it is possible. What I do know is that our neighbor grinds all of his hay for his feedlot. BUT he pours syrup in with the hay when it goes through the feeder wagon so that it still gets mixed properly.

mncowboy":1i3r7sqm said:
Anyone have experience injecting roundbales with distiller syrup? If so how did it go and how did you go about injecting?
THanks in advance
Why would you want to? Is the hay that low quality? Cows won't eat it??

mncowboy":6r4kui9h said:
I was hoping to inject corn distiller solubles into oat straw bales

It can certainly be done. Some also inject liquid feed into bales but I have no idea what the cost per bale would be. It would take a huge amount of either to actually increase the nutrient values of straw to any beneficial level but you should at least get increased intake.

mncowboy":394rdicx said:
I was hoping to inject corn distiller solubles into oat straw bales
The increase in dry matter intake and fiber digestion of low-quality hay when supplementing corn condensed distillers solubles indicates that corn condensed distillers solubles are similar to other rumen degradable protein supplements when fed in combination with forage-based diets. However, this seems to be only true when the corn condensed distillers solubles are fed in a totally mixed ration or when they contain greater levels of nutrients. Supplementing corn condensed distillers solubles at levels up to 15% (dry matter intake) resulted in no negative effects on intake or use of low-quality switchgrass hay. Based on our findings, corn condensed distillers solubles may be used as a protein supplement for forage-based diets; however, feeders need to be aware of the variable moisture, crude protein, and fat content of corn condensed distillers solubles.
Cut and paste from; http://jas.fass.org/content/84/6/1468.full
This would indicate that injection is not the method to use.

One producer says he injects his not so palatible hay with Mix30 and that helps get the cows to clean it all up. Claims they will eat everything so he has very little waste. Not sure what ratio he uses.

yes it can be done,i knew a man back in the 70s that built an injector an storage tank for the syrup.an injected every bale of hay he fed to his milk cows.an the hay wasnt low quality.we tryed it for awhile.

bigbull338":22t2qawf said:
yes it can be done,i knew a man back in the 70s that built an injector an storage tank for the syrup.an injected every bale of hay he fed to his milk cows.an the hay wasnt low quality.we tryed it for awhile.
Where was this man getting CCDS from in the 70's in Texas?

inbredredneck":2f1vxg5m said:
bigbull338":2f1vxg5m said:
Ya think he probably didn't mean CCDS? Back in the 60's we were making up our own lick with molasses cottonseed meal, urea, mineral and I don't know what else dad stuck in it. I don't see why it couldn't be injected.

novatech":3buoqva1 said:
inbredredneck":3buoqva1 said:
bigbull338":3buoqva1 said:
Ya think he probably didn't mean CCDS? Back in the 60's we were making up our own lick with molasses cottonseed meal, urea, mineral and I don't know what else dad stuck in it. I don't see why it couldn't be injected.
Well lets look at this logically, the original poster asked if injecting CCDS into round bales could be done or not and how. BB338 answered yes it can be done, he knew a man back in the 70's that did it with every bale. I can only assume if a man was doing it back in the 70's he must have had access to CCDS from somewhere. You can't really inject something you don't have.

inbredredneck":31wz57zp said:
Well lets look at this logically, the original poster asked if injecting CCDS into round bales could be done or not and how. BB338 answered yes it can be done, he knew a man back in the 70's that did it with every bale. I can only assume if a man was doing it back in the 70's he must have had access to CCDS from somewhere. You can't really inject something you don't have.
Knowing that the brain does not always connect with what you think and what goes down in writing I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Your question, to me, seems to be an accusation in the nice form of a question. I will now give you the benefit of the doubt.

he was injecting syrup or or the liquid feed you put in syrup tanks.man thinking back that far makes me old.

If they were round bales we have just turned them on there side and poured the liquid feed onto the bale. We basically just did this with the round bales that were low in protein (ie praire hay) or quality.

Is there a way one could be processing and blowing it into a pile, all-the-while applying or spraying the CCDS into/onto the blowing stream of forage? Seems to me I had once heard of a custom processor who had some sort of setup that was applying the syrup/CCDS as it was ground. That way one could just feed from the pile, with the CCDS already mixed into the forage and we wouldnt have to worry about keeping the CCDS from freezing in a tank, and perhaps the mixing of equal rations would be accomplished.

Latest posts