Injectable Wormers?

Help Support CattleToday:

I noticed my vet use Noremectrin injectable and I was using it too but was reading where our marketing alliance doesn't consider generics valid so I went back to Ivomec injectable. I cant' tell the difference though.

cjmc":3me4pdzb said:
Stocker Steve":3me4pdzb said:
cjmc":3me4pdzb said:
I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

How does treatment increase consumption?

To be honest, I'm not sure. That would be a vet question. I just know they do reduce intake. Here is a link that verifies that (but unfortunately doesn't explain what is physiologically happening.) It also has that picture I mentioned.

http://www.safe-guardcattle.com/beef-worms.aspx

Worming doesn't necessarily increase feed consumption so much as the parasite load in the cow has been depressing appetite over a long period of time. Removing them allows the cow to simply regain her normal appetite.

TexasBred":1i7a9w2i said:
cjmc":1i7a9w2i said:
Stocker Steve":1i7a9w2i said:
How does treatment increase consumption?

To be honest, I'm not sure. That would be a vet question. I just know they do reduce intake. Here is a link that verifies that (but unfortunately doesn't explain what is physiologically happening.) It also has that picture I mentioned.

http://www.safe-guardcattle.com/beef-worms.aspx

Worming doesn't necessarily increase feed consumption so much as the parasite load in the cow has been depressing appetite over a long period of time. Removing them allows the cow to simply regain her normal appetite.

Yep!

gizmom":3cofuvao said:
I wonder if they have done any studies on long range and conception in heifers? We are palpating our heifers tomorrow and I suspect more opens than normal. We used long range on our heifers last year for the first time, had not considered it until I read this thread. Like CC the only management change was the long range. I will have a better idea after tomorrow but I know some are open we saw them standing after we pulled the bull.

Gizmom

If yall have flukes and replaced Ivomec Plus or Valbazen with Longrange, that might be an issue since Longrange doesn't have a flukicide. We HAVE TO treat flukes twice a year, which makes it difficult to figure out where we would use something like Longrange. Have a bottle that's been sitting on the shelf for well over a year.

Latest posts