Can't find Ivomec injectable.

Help Support CattleToday:

It appears both Ivomec & Ivomec Plus & as well as numerous other brands of injectables in this class have been backordered/off the market for some time. Was led to believe regarding the former it was a shortage of clorsulon. Obviously not the case. Pour on is still plentiful. Same deal with Sustain III...adult version available but not in calf dosage.

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/productsafetyinformation/ucm267669.htm

Me thinks there's a rat in the wood pile.

We've been using ivermectin pour-on for years. Didn't seem to do much good for the last round. Guess they built up a resistance because we didn't rotate wormers often enough. We switched back to Eprinex pour-on yesterday, ingredient is Eprinomectin. Good for internal and external parasites. Should get us back on track.

sstterry said:
It appears that Noromectin is still available. I was under the belief that it was just the generic of the Ivomectin. Am I wrong?

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/noromectin-injection

I just started using this. We fight liver flukes here. Didn't know why no one had Ivomec Plus in. Now I know. Hope this works as well as ivomec plus has.

The only wormer containing a flukecide currently available is Valbazen drench. Noromectin does NOT get flukes. A lot of people don't like drenching likely because their cattle are unruly. Not an issue here in fact the cattle often as not begin licking their lips when about to be drenched.
On the future availability of the products mentioned in this thread I wouldn't hold my breath on them ever returning as we've known them. Experienced this before with numerous herd health products...without exception it translated to kiss it good bye. :frowns:

It appears that Noromectin is still available. I was under the belief that it was just the generic of the Ivomectin. Am I wrong?
Noromectin is available and it is indeed a generic Ivomectin. It should be noted that there's been a number of research studies/trials comparing the efficacy of the generics versus brand name and the former lacked the efficacy of the latter regarding reducing/eliminating internal parasites loads.

76 Bar said:
The only wormer containing a flukecide currently available is Valbazen drench. Noromectin does NOT get flukes. A lot of people don't like drenching likely because their cattle are unruly. Not an issue here in fact the cattle often as not begin licking their lips when about to be drenched.
On the future availability of the products mentioned in this thread I wouldn't hold my breath on them ever returning as we've known them. Experienced this before with numerous herd health products...without exception it translated to kiss it good bye. :frowns:

There is a plus version of Noromectin that does get flukes just like ivomec plus. That is what I ordered.
I use Valbazen going into winter.
I do have concerns on the noromectin not being as effective. I'll know soon enough. We always check organs etc when we butcher here on the ranch. Hopefully it's just as effective. Not many options for rotational deworming for flukes.

Ivomec Plus is in short supply because there is a worldwide shortage of CLORSULON. That is the compound in Ivomec Plus that kills liver flukes. I spoke with Brent Tolle who works for Merial, the maker of Ivomec. Clorsulon is produced by an independent company and Merial and all the other companies who use Clorsulon as a compound in their parasiticide to control flukes depend on only one company worldwide. That company has experienced production problems and has of yet not been able to meet demand. Noromectin Plus has the same problem.

If you cannot get Noromectin Plus or Ivomec Plus, The alternative is to drench with valbazen.

So I should buy some more Noromectin Plus then as that will also run out it sounds like.
Thanks for the info Bright Raven!

Double R Ranch said:
So I should buy some more Noromectin Plus then as that will also run out it sounds like.
You are very welcome. If you can find Noromectin Plus, I would not worry about the difference in efficacy. Both Ivomec and Noromectin get the CLORSULON from the same supplier. Nevertheless, there are studies that show better efficacy with the non-generic makers. I think because their quality control standards are better.

Bright Raven said:
Double R Ranch said:
You are very welcome. If you can find Noromectin Plus, I would not worry about the difference in efficacy. Both Ivomec and Noromectin get the CLORSULON from the same supplier. Nevertheless, there are studies that show better efficacy with the non-generic makers. I think because their quality control standards are better.

Thank you! I will be ordering more today. The local mark up is horrendous.
I have personally had issues with generic medications in the past so I try not to use them in general if possible for the reasons you've stated. I've had many doctors push generic as the exact same but haven't had vets do it. In this case I don't have many options and we have to keep on top of the flukes.

Double R Ranch said:
Bright Raven said:
Double R Ranch said:

Thank you! I will be ordering more today. The local mark up is horrendous.
I have personally had issues with generic medications in the past so I try not to use them in general if possible for the reasons you've stated. I've had many doctors push generic as the exact same but haven't had vets do it. In this case I don't have many options and we have to keep on top of the flukes.

Liver flukes in cattle are devastating. Imagine a bunch of miners working in your liver. Yikes. Lol.

Bright Raven said:
Liver flukes in cattle are devastating. Imagine a bunch of miners working in your liver. Yikes. Lol.

For sure! Good explanation of what they do! Lol
I still remember the first beef liver I saw in person loaded with them. Never seen something like that before.
Killed a bunch of our goats years ago too. Vet said we didn't have to worry about them in our area. Fecals proved otherwise. Now it's a constant battle to keep all livestock as clear as possible. We run fecals as well as check the liver of every animal butchered here.
Sure wish they had a product that could do more than just the adult flukes.

Double R Ranch said:
Bright Raven said:

I still remember the first beef liver I saw in person loaded with them. Never seen something like that before.
Killed a bunch of our goats years ago too. Vet said we didn't have to worry about them in our area. Fecals proved otherwise. Now it's a constant battle to keep all livestock as clear as possible. We run fecals as well as check the liver of every animal butchered here.

If you have a cow that you suspect has liver flukes and you need to treat - triclabendazole kills the liver flukes and their eggs. 

Bright Raven said:
Double R Ranch said:
Bright Raven said:

If you have a cow that you suspect has liver flukes and you need to treat - triclabendazole kills the liver flukes and their eggs. 

:banana: Thank you! I will look into that! We've yet to use something that kills anything other than the adults which to me is good but doesn't get to the root of the problem. I will see what I can find! Thanks again! Super helpful!