info on 04 Dodge

Help Support CattleToday:

buckwheat_87

Reaction score
04 dodge 2500, cummins, 6 speed, 4x4.

Goin to test drive it next week, ive never owned a dodge but know a lot of people that have, some love theres and some dont. This truck has 51000 miles on it, his wife drives it back and forth to work. Im 99% sure it hasnt been abused. The only thing its pulled is a 16 ft stock trailier. Just lookin for any advice on some problems i might need to look or listen for.

Thanks

What you need to do before you buy any truck is look at the front grill. If it has a goat with horns emblem I would stay way from it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

3MR":1vx8u8b7 said:
What you need to do before you buy any truck is look at the front grill. If it has a goat with horns emblem I would stay way from it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baaa aaaa aaaa ddd!

:D

Bez>

I am on my second Dodge Ram at this point (1998 1500 4x4, 87,000 miles). The previous owner (my father) babied the thing. It had to tow a trailer once in its life. All service was done at the dealership and all maintinence schedules were followed.

At 81,000 miles the transmission blew with no warning. From what I can tell, bad transmissions are relatively common with the Ram series.

I'm not saying that it is a bad vehicle, only that you need to keep it in mind. The only other common issue with the Ram that I know of is a high failure rate for the cats. There was a DoJ settlement (not a recall, so most dealers will not acknowledge it) where most of them will be replaced for free. You would have to do a search to see if yours is/was covered.

With only 51,000 on the odometer, there isn't much to be concerned about. You should have a 7/70 or 7/100 drivetrain warranty.

Check out the front end and ensure its tight.

Have the lift pump pressure checked out, although I suspect it would be just fine. You're looking for a minimum of 7 PSI at idle.

Forget about the transmission problems. The NV5600 was pretty much bullet proof, easily the best 6 speed ever put in a Dodge, Chev or Ford. New Venture did send out a few with casting flaws on the 6th gear which would cause it to come apart, but Dodge knows of the issue and will replace the trans should it happen (very unlikely, there weren't many that escaped into the wild). Of course, watch for a slipping clutch. If his wife that drove didn't know how, it doesn't take long to destroy a clutch. The clutch will not be covered under warranty.

Ensure that the truck has the latest reflash and if it doesn't, make it part of the sale. It usually costs a hundred bucks or so, unless its done as part of a customer complaint. There should be a tag under the hood if a dealer has done it. You want this, as it improved fuel economy _alot_.

Listen to the engine and check for a 'popping' noise combined with a miss. This will be a bad injector. Unlikely at 51,000, but just the same...

Check the u-joints. If they're shot, which they could be, make Moog replacements part of the deal. Don't put the Dodge u-joints back in, unless you can get them under warranty.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Well, since you asked for advice here is mine. Don't buy a Dodge at all. :lol:

Check the dash and see if it is stuffed with donkey dung. I here after a while that donkey dung will cause the plastic to crumble.

Down here at the sale barn if you drive a Dodge you will be one of two. :lol:

Weeellll Flaboy, I guess he could buy a Ford. At least if the power goes out, he can huddle by the fire of the tailpipe and keep warm. :lol: :lol:

:p

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":27avs45q said:
Weeellll Flaboy, I guess he could buy a Ford. At least if the power goes out, he can huddle by the fire of the tailpipe and keep warm. :lol: :lol:

:p

Rod

Hey, the campfire is a feature not a problem. Folks used to pay good money to have flames come out of their exhaust. Heck look at NASCAR, most of the cars do it. So it must be good. :lol:

flaboy?":1gxj7dm1 said:
Hey, the campfire is a feature not a problem. Folks used to pay good money to have flames come out of their exhaust. Heck look at NASCAR, most of the cars do it. So it must be good. :lol:

:lol: :lol: The first time I saw that video circling the net, my first thought was: We used to do that ON PURPOSE. Now they say its bad? Bah.

Rod

Latest posts