Info at sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull Honky

Reaction score
How much specific information do you give when selling your commercial cattle at a sale barn? Example: You are selling a mixed red cow 4 months bred to your registered black angus herd sire. Would you give them any info on recent vaccinations, age, or other records you may have? Maybe you just say preg check and send it on its way. Just curious on what others prefer. :?:

The only time we give any info, is if the cow is ill-tempered and needs to go to killer. I believe preg checking is the responsibility of the buyer, unless the seller is selling the animals as guaranteed bred/open - but I could be wrong on that. My area is small enough that everyone usually knows who the animal(s) belonged too, and what to expect. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Drop them off and turn in the haul slip (all the farm info) and a brand inspection if the iron on the animal don't belong to you.
Wait for the check in the mail or wait till the sale is over than pick it up t the counter.
Up here you can send in additional info.

it just depends on the cow. if one is dangerous or has some reason she doenst need to go back to a farm (which is unlikely anyway) i will make a note on the haul slip. i always get cows preg checked b/c heavy breds will sometimes bring a little more and might actually get to have the calf. i also have them preg checked for my own benefit--9 times out of 10 i know but every once ina while i will have a surprise open that i figured was bred. i also like to see the short mouths, it amazes me sometimes who has shortmouth but can also explain a lot.

Any information anyone wants to know, will be provided in total honesty. If asked.

The key point is, if asked. To many times I have sat at the sale barn and seen owners speak for their cows. We are often times looking at an animal that is average at best and the owner is going on and on about what a great cow she is. To me, they are overselling. Sort of a horse trader mentality.

If I am running a decent bull through because I can no longer cross back into my own, and the auctioneer asks, "Can anyone speak for this bull?" I will answer honestly and briefly. A few times buyers come along with follow-up questions and I take him out and show him cattle in the pens that are the bull's offspring.

There is nothing more valuable than a man's word in my opinion. Secondly, I plan on selling lots of animals in the future.

If the sale barn works on commission, they are obviously wanting to get prices as high as they possibly can.

We leave information on vaccinations and ages on any bred (or supposed to be bred) cows we sell. We have also started to do it on anything we sell.

Last fall we actually got a higher price for some bred cows we sold (in my way of thinking) because we were able to give the information to the auctioneer. He read it out and people sat up to look. The best way to get a good reputation at the sale barn is to be upfront with any info. Also if the cows are a bunch of twits, tell them so they go in the kill pen. Theres no reason to sell something like that for breeding purpose.

Bull Honky":364spoox said:
How much specific information do you give when selling your commercial cattle at a sale barn? Example: You are selling a mixed red cow 4 months bred to your registered black angus herd sire. Would you give them any info on recent vaccinations, age, or other records you may have? Maybe you just say preg check and send it on its way. Just curious on what others prefer. :?:

If I were selling a decent bred cow, I would say what she was bred to and what vaccinations she had and possibly age as well. Depends what you are selling. We take the culls to the regular cull sales, and the decent breds to bred cattle sales. Our sale barn sorts the cull cattle into bigger groups of "like" cattle (old, young, fat, thin, medium etc...) so we don't have to worry about those cattle going to someone else. The breds go to a different sale. Keep in mind, that your cull may work well enough in someone else's herd depends why you are culling her.

When I am at the sale I don't take the sellers word anything is bred. The auction usualy has a vet come in and do it. If I was selling anything I could say that would cause me getting a higher bid I would ask them to say. They probobly wouldn't read a long list but sire and dam wouldn't be to much to ask. If I was selling a bred cow and they didn't check it I would think there is some insider deals going on.

Calves sell higher IF you have preconditioned them (all shots and I list what I give, wormed, weaned (that doesn't mean off the trailer), etc...

The cows if I think they might be bred I have them aged and preg checked unless they are a kill cow and then I don't have that done.

I think down at West Plains they sell the calves in lots of larger numbers and sort them according to size and whether they are preconditioned, bunkbroke, just weaned, etc.... so there may be several owners calves in a lot but I'm not sure. I can't imagine them selling 1-4 thousand head one at a time.

With young stock (feeders) I'll let them know it's been vaccinated, weaned, de-wormed and started on feed.

Older animals, info on vaccination, de-worm and whether or not she's been 'exposed' to a bull. (no claim of being bred)

Others I have specified that they are 'slaughter' animals only.

Katherine

I've noticed it doesn't make a difference at our barn for the calves to be pre-conditioned unless you bring in a potload. Then they sell them in lots instead of individually. If I take in a cow I usually get her preg checked and they try to sell those as breeders if not then they lb. them out. I've heard them announce on occasion a wild one, but those you already know because they've already blowed snot on everyone in the ring and front row. Not much else is said about anything unless a good bull comes through.

they only preg check at the request of the seller prior to sale, and at the sellers cost.
i tell them if they have been wormed, and or how long wiened, etc.
bull exposed or not!
all preg checked cows that come thru the barns i frequient are marked as to trimester prior to sale. if a cow comes thru that has not been preg checked and they think she might be preg, they will say something like "might be folks" or "been exposed" but they will not deliberatly withold information if it is known.