Inflation and spending habits

Help Support CattleToday:

Went to college for a math degree b/c they didn't have engineering. I use basic math every day in my job but nothing sophisticated that I learned in college. The folks that go to a private (expensive) university for degree that doesn't pay well is usually not a good idea.
PPI number that came out yesterday was 10% YOY.
CPI was 7.9% on 3/10.

Went to college for a math degree b/c they didn't have engineering. I use basic math every day in my job but nothing sophisticated that I learned in college. The folks that go to a private (expensive) university for degree that doesn't pay well is usually not a good idea.
PPI number that came out yesterday was 10% YOY.
CPI was 7.9% on 3/10.
lol - 2% increase every 6 days. hmm, by end of year... I don't want to do the math. :)

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) measures the change in the price of goods and services from the perspective of the consumer. It is a key way to measure changes in purchasing trends and inflation.

The Producer Price Index (PPI) measures the change in the price of goods sold by manufacturers. It is a leading indicator of consumer price inflation, which accounts for the majority of overall inflation.

I started in the work force in 1962. $1.65 per hour. Car prices new were in the $1100 to $1200 range for a suitable car for what you bought a car for. Payments on a 36 monthly payments would be around $30 more and less. I was easier for my wife and me to buy a new car than to put tires on the car when due. Might add another $1.50 a month on the new car.

That pretty well puts into perspective how bad wages haven't kept up. $1.65 times 2080 hours in a year, $3,432. Could buy three cars.

The average salary today might buy one, and that would be considered a "good" living by most.

Cars haven't gotten much more expensive, we just make way less money.

That pretty well puts into perspective how bad wages haven't kept up. $1.65 times 2080 hours in a year, $3,432. Could buy three cars.

The average salary today might buy one, and that would be considered a "good" living by most.

Cars haven't gotten much more expensive, we just make way less money.
Cars have gotten more expensive.
That 57 Chevy Apache had three on the tree with 2-55 AC.
That was standard with a 252 inline six.
The 21 Z-71 sitting under my carport would smoke my 69 GTO and get double the mileage doing it.

The 21 Z-71 sitting under my carport would smoke my 69 GTO and get double the mileage doing it.
Sure would like to have the GTO though.

Don't forget all the stupid stuff it does that you don't need it to do. I just want a car with good mileage and a CD player. They don't make that anymore. Everything is bluetooth or media stick compatible.

Don't forget all the stupid stuff it does that you don't need it to do. I just want a car with good mileage and a CD player. They don't make that anymore. Everything is bluetooth or media stick compatible.
Don't forget ...70,000 miles was considered worn out. 100,000 miles was something to brag about. Typical warranty would be a year and 12000 miles.

Both of those times I also had money in mutual funds. I lost value there too at those times. I didn't lose it all as I did in single stocks It took a few years to get back to even. I got burned bad enough that I decided the stock market wasn't for me.
The stock market is rough...but the best advice was Buffet's...he said....the stock market takes away money from the impatience and give it to the patience. I had to learn very careful where the bottoms in stock are (wait and wait for the bottom to occur)...buy at those bottoms....see it GO EVEN LOWER...wait 3 to 6 months and then sell at an 18% to 60% gain. The stock market is ALL a physiological game...you HAVE to BE Prepared to play with some very big boys that are seeking to take away you money. They give you a mental shaking and laugh when you sell out lower than when you bought. I refuse to give them that satisfaction so I lay in wait for those bottoms and buy then. Never take tips from MSN and other financial pundits...they are trying to unload stock companies that are in trouble. I like to buy no news stocks with P/E ratios below 10 that fall for no reason other than people get tired of them or moved to what they perceive as greener fields...only then the fields become green. Set-up a nice safe dividend portfolio for utility stocks...everyone pays their utilities..and the dividends are nice.

I started in the work force in 1962. $1.65 per hour. Car prices new were in the $1100 to $1200 range for a suitable car for what you bought a car for. Payments on a 36 monthly payments would be around $30 more and less. I was easier for my wife and me to buy a new car than to put tires on the car when due. Might add another $1.50 a month on the new car.
That was back when you could buy your neighbor's car for $30. to $100. used.

My 401K is 1/2 index funds and 1/2 individual stocks that I manage. Both accounts perform about the same but I spend more time on the individual stocks that I manage. Might as well just have the index funds and be done with it but I can't stop tinkering.
Nothing wrong with Tinkering...i do it too. I have some of those good reasonable company penny stocks 8 to 12 cents....that i'm hoping for a four to 8 fold increase. Bread and butter dividend portfolio and then your risk-on 8 fold increases i call them. What fun is it holding a $60. /share stock that floats from $53. to $74. over the course of 5 years....THAT's NO FUN!!!! Tinkering is fun...risk is fun....that is "safe risk"...as safe as you can make it studying the company. Big fan of newcomers in junior energy and junior mining stocks. I'll ride their new coattails to hell or heaven....hoping for heaven.

I can completely understand people not wanting a car payment and a nice truck not being important to people. What I can't understand is how folks get by without reliable dependable transportation. My pickup is the one thing that gets used everyday. I use it to get to work, feed Cows, do daily chores, I'm pretty much dependent on it for everything. I'll keep it for 6-10 yrs or until I feel the upkeep outweighs the value and then get another new one. I feel like pickups are worth every penny you pay for them.

I can completely understand people not wanting a car payment and a nice truck not being important to people. What I can't understand is how folks get by without reliable dependable transportation. My pickup is the one thing that gets used everyday. I use it to get to work, feed Cows, do daily chores, I'm pretty much dependent on it for everything. I'll keep it for 6-10 yrs or until I feel the upkeep outweighs the value and then get an.other new one. I feel like pickups are worth every penny you pay for them.
Agreed,
Also, I hate car shopping. I want to buy one every ten years. I'm 53 years old and on my 5th truck.

Don't forget ...70,000 miles was considered worn out. 100,000 miles was something to brag about. Typical warranty would be a year and 12000 miles.
I totally understand that the quality of vehicles has gone through the roof. And I get that it's amazing what they can do. But it drives me up a wall that there's so much on there that's computerized and un-needed.

I totally understand that the quality of vehicles has gone through the roof. And I get that it's amazing what they can do. But it drives me up a wall that there's so much on there that's computerized and un-needed.
Just about every electronic piece has some built-in diagnostic functions that can usually help with major failures but not that great overall. For instance, you can tell if a sensor is shorted to ground or a voltage source but if it's just not accurate then there's really nothing to tell you otherwise. Mechanics rely on these "features" a lot these days.

I can completely understand people not wanting a car payment and a nice truck not being important to people. What I can't understand is how folks get by without reliable dependable transportation. My pickup is the one thing that gets used everyday. I use it to get to work, feed Cows, do daily chores, I'm pretty much dependent on it for everything. I'll keep it for 6-10 yrs or until I feel the upkeep outweighs the value and then get another new one. I feel like pickups are worth every penny you pay for them.
Wife and I are both retired so the only reliable vehicle we need is one to go to the Dr. Otherwise the old 95 Toyota 218,000 miles does the farming, 2001 Dodge 3500 184,000 miles pulls the cattle trailer, and a 94 Jeep Cherokee 315, 000 miles does the bear hunting and fishing.
Before you think I'm terrible my wife just 2 weeks ago bought a new Dodge Durango. It probably will be driven 2,000 miles a year.. She paid for it totally or she wouldn't have bought it. Probably the last vehicle we will ever buy.

Last edited:

Latest posts