Inflation and spending habits

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Was reading earlier that Americans outlook is bleak and spending is slowing down. Have your spending habits changed?

We hadn't really slowed down much but prices were on our mind more than usual. The last few weeks I would say we've started slowing down on groceries. We don't live on any sort of budget and honestly I normally didn't look at prices for things we needed. I definitely look now.

On another note I bought 15 sticks of sucker rod yesterday for $180. Last winter I was buying it for $6. It's doubled for no apparent reason. Not sure where this 7% inflation nonsense is coming from. Sure seems like prices are up more than 7%

Was reading earlier that Americans outlook is bleak and spending is slowing down. Have your spending habits changed?

We hadn't really slowed down much but prices were on our mind more than usual. The last few weeks I would say we've started slowing down on groceries. We don't live on any sort of budget and honestly I normally didn't look at prices for things we needed. I definitely look now.

On another note I bought 15 sticks of sucker rod yesterday for $180. Last winter I was buying it for $6. It's doubled for no apparent reason. Not sure where this 7% inflation nonsense is coming from. Sure seems like prices are up more than 7%
We have like 400+, 3/4 rods we would part with. 😄

There's too much money floating around in the economy and in the stock market.

We have like 400+, 3/4 rods we would part with. 😄
Well dang. I actually hate using sucker rods. Hard to deal with alone and hard to weld to pipe. I tried to buy 1 1/4" 14g tubing but they said they can't even get it right now.

I've got a couple spots that I temporarily fixed last year that are needing some attention before the cows get were I don't want them. Nothing major, if I think about I'll post a pic

I was standing in the grocery store yesterday waiting for my wife. Some guy pushing his cart past said, "you look as discussed about grocery prices as I am". I just said it is what it is. He said it doesn't have to be and walked on. I really hadn't noticed it that much. We have a pretty big pantry that is well stocked. When something we use goes on sale we load up. And of course the freezer is full of beef, elk, and deer. So we rarely buy meat. Well we do buy bacon. The wife cans veggies from the garden. I know she canned up 50 pounds of peaches, 30 pounds of pears, and a ton of apple sauce. We just don't buy that much groceries to really notice.

I don't pay much attention to groceries, I buy what I need. With around the farm I am trying to use materials that I have to hand and it has been good as I am decluttering a bit. I am doing a bit of work on my outer yards and am utilising a heap of 50mm square (2" square) weldmesh panels that I was given and am milling hardwood rails for along the top instead of buying cattle rail.

Ken

We were pretty conservative with our spending already so not much has changed. We have a freezer full of beef and garden vegetables and another full of pork, even with that said, we generally spend $75 a week on household goods and misc. groceries that we don't have on hand.
Sandwich meat has gotten ridiculous, around $9/lb. I had the wife pick up a bone in turkey breast, $13 for 8 lb. one, I smoked it and sliced it with my electric knife to make sandwich meat. Yielded 4-5 lbs of meat.

Plant I've worked in for the last 15 years is closing the doors and sending all our production to Mexico.
Yeah, I'm changing a lot of stuff
Sorry to hear that not just for you but because that is exactly what is killing this country and has been for years. Best of luck and i sincerely hope you land on your feet.

Plant I've worked in for the last 15 years is closing the doors and sending all our production to Mexico.
That's a bad deal shaz. Hope you find something soon and it doesn't cause to much of a disruption. You never know things might even be better.

Been there, Done that. Just remember no matter how dark it gets or how bad it looks you can and will get through if you persevere.
Be willing to go where the opportunity lies. Have faith in the living God and know you are blessed even when it does not appear so.
Make new friends, Keep old friends. Don't waste time on negative thoughts or people. Read your bible and pray The confidence to
succeed will be there when you need it! God bless your works of good will, Lee VanRoss

I stopped by our local butcher shop Friday and got 2 racks of pork ribs and 2 links of sausage to smoke today. The total was $61.

Stopped by my sister & laws on the way home from feeding yesterday to visit since they was outside. I had a few beers and saw her give my nephew a $100 to run to the store. He got back pretty quick and gave her $9 back. I ask him how he spent $91 at the c store he said 2 30 packs, 2 pack of cigarettes, and a 24 Oz to go. 😕😕 I'm glad I only drink a few beers.

I haven't changed any spending habits yet. I think I'm fairly conservative about spending anyway. That's why the newest of my two pickups is a 2006.

I'm now more careful where I shop than what I buy.
Brookshire's is way higher than h-e-b here.

Brookshire Brothers is closer to me than HEB, but the selection, and sometimes quality, is better at HEB. It seems like produce from Brookshire Brothers goes bad before I get home with it.

Latest posts