Inflation and spending habits

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya, I'm going to ask him next time. Its probably some internal deal.

It's still ridiculous at 16. You can drive a mower and a truck through Houston on the same day. That doesnt make any sense.

I had a push mower that I tied a bungee strap to the handle of and to the seat of my bike when I was 8 years old. I would pull the mower backwards behind my bike to 2 houses in my neighborhood to mowe weekly.

Ya, I'm going to ask him next time. Its probably some internal deal.

It's still ridiculous at 16. You can drive a mower and a truck through Houston on the same day. That doesnt make any sense.

I had a push mower that I tied a bungee strap to the handle of and to the seat of my bike when I was 8 years old. I would pull the mower backwards behind my bike to 2 houses in my neighborhood to mowe weekly.
Folks with that initative don't exist today. Those government rules help keep it in place.

That's odd because the maintenance person here at the school was telling me they cant let any one less than 18 drive the mowers but it didnt list that when I read it just now. Maybe it's for insuance or another reason.
Might be state regs on top of the federal ones... I agree it could be for insurance stuff too.

As a pretty mature 13 yr old I was babysitting for several families in the neighborhood. No special classes or anything.... and I had a list of people begging me to come sit. Made enough money to buy my first horse, build a small barn shed and tack room/hay/feed storage and built it with the help of my dad... paid for her hay and feed every month.
No, the incentive and initiative is not the same in many young people today... too much gets handed to them... by their parents and not wanting them to "have to go through what I did" attitude... to the seemingly it is easier to stay inside and not have to sweat and work my muscles a little attitudes... But then, boys today do not care if they impress a girl by being a strong "tough" guy... girls would would rather have a "sensitive" boy than a potential man to look up to... We are of a generation that is far from perfect... but give me a man that is a man... with all the faults and flaws... because at least they will stand up for themselves and those they care about... rather than let someone else take care of things for them....or to control things for them and control them too...

Not sure what those positions pay in your county but here it is less than working Buccees. You can probably beat it at DQ.
We don't have a DQ anymore!
You're probably right the closest well paying jobs are the Beaumont area, got to get around the oil patch.
Area wise you have the prison, county or school district are the good jobs. That's not saying a lot.

Yall are lucky. My teen years, I was working for my father in his auto shop, basically for room and board and the learning experience. I never saw $1 of wages from all the thousands of hours I spent working on other people's vehicles and by the time I was 16, I was pretty good at it. My brother and sister's the same deal. My sister could and did run the valve grinding/seat grinding machine as good as any man could.
I could work part time in the summers hauling hay or working for a local construction project but still had to put in my time in the auto shop. My only 'pay' from that mechanic work was dad bought both my brother and I a car when we got our full driver's lic. 1964 surplus Houston police patrol car, with a gazillion miles on them, a wore out 6 cyl 2 bbl, with the HPD emblem just scraped off with a razor knife before they left the aution, and auto transmission and they could barely get out of their own way. He paid $325 for one and $350 for the other at the auction, after 6 years of working in the shop, plus the time spent working on the farm.. mostly fencing then crossfencing 124 acres which involved me getting hit by lightning, & the whole place was filled with a billion thousand seed ticks. Ropin cows on open ground and learned real quick to get the rope run around the nearest tree before the cow got to you and snub her off tight so you brandor drench or whatever you had to do, then hope she just walked off when you let her up instead of trying to kill you for all the trouble. Creosoting posts with a homemade pressure tank that one day the pressure gage quit working and it got so hot it blew the door off and the creosote erupted in a big ball of fire as soon as the air hit it. Whee doggies!
I was finally 'allowed' to get a full time job when I was 17, in one of the refineries as labor, but then had to pay my mother $35/week 'room and board'.

(Some years later, I hadn't been back from Vietnam 6 months when my dad had bought an old 50s something long stake bed winch truck on the other side of Houston and I went with him to get it. Didn't run, the driver's door wouldn't open, had been welded shut, it barely had brakes and he pulled it back thru houston with a chain on 610 loop at 60 mph with me behind the wheel of the pos stake bed truck. They had just finished the tall Sidney Sherman bridge over the Houston ship channel, a tall 10 lane curved bridge and he sped up before getting there to be able to get over the top and we were still flyin when we reached the top. Going down, we picked up speed, the old front wheels were wobbling back and forth in suicide motion & I wanted out of that thing bad but was too scared to jump out onto the traffic. I was standing on the brakes trying to keep slack out of the chain and slow him down, but he was going faster trying to keep ahead of me and barely had any effect till we reached the flat roadway on the other side. Brakes were still smoking when we pulled into the yard 20 miles later, when I swung the passenger door open to get out, it fell off onto the ground.)
What a friggin life.

Thats the evil bridge in the distance..

sidsherman.jpg

Last edited:
I was lent out to haul pulpwood with my uncle at 13. They needed help, that wasn't a living but existing . Seed ticks were so bad you would be ate up with them in truck in the morning going to the woods. The truck was literally infested with ticks!
Went to work at 15 as a butcher apprentice, worked from 4pm till 10 walked a mile and half home. Next morning got up at 5 am drove 20 miles and fed 20 of Mr Wiggins race horses. Drove his truck back to his house and walked to HS.
At 17 I was a journeyman butcher running the meat shop on the evening shift. I took a welding class between 17-19 and was a certified pipe welder as well. At 19 I took a pay cut on hourly rate to go to the refinery as a laborer.
The had overtime and benefits.
I left being in charge nights, weekends and holidays of the largest gasoline refinery in the country at the time I retired.
I was sent and trained by the company as a Certified Root Cause Failure Analyst and instructor on the Challenger incident by NASA personal.
I was out of a job one day from 13 till I retired.
Now the county wants my old wore out butt to run machinery.

No, they don't want your old wore out butt.... they want the "few" brain cells that you have knowing how to run the machinery, and will take the old wore out butt to get the knowledge... because you at least know how to work... and the value of giving your word to do something and then doing it...and won't tear something up just because you don't own it so don't care... like SOOO many today... "well, it's not mine so why should I care"

Wow, you all had active working childhoods into your careers. Greybeard I could really feel yours (been there, our dads were similar), FarmerJan, Yes, i was too easy on my kids...shame on me....i see some handicaps in them I'm not proud of (is my fault).
Myself...i grew up in a desolated place...nearest neighbors were 1/2 mile away...made for good strong legs...was a track cross-country runner. Anyway 10 cents a row (weeding) or 35 cents an hour.....my dad instituted. I always went for the 35 cents an hour...i could not weed a row of corn beans, peas (both sides, now) in less than an hour...those rows were long.
Dad was from the military Korean war.....most work got unloaded to us kids in the form of "volunteering" ...we acted up...we automatically volunteered for his special project without pay. We were raised to be responsible and respectful.
I did good in life...commissioning electrical control systems "if you can fix things and make things run, they'll always put you on a plane". Retired on my 55th birthday...got into cattle at age 57 was kind of my childhood dream. I am very blessed to be connected to the land, God lives in those woods.

I'm curious about the culture in other places. Are all the youngsters who are not interested in manual labor jobs in other places just doing nothing and living off someone else? I know many youngsters who aren't interested in operating a backhoe or doing construction, but they are pursuing other things.

I'm curious about the culture in other places. Are all the youngsters who are not interested in manual labor jobs in other places just doing nothing and living off someone else? I know many youngsters who aren't interested in operating a backhoe or doing construction, but they are pursuing other things.
I think there's some selection bias involved in the experiences of people on this board. Young people with work ethic and initiative often leave rural areas and small towns for better opportunities. The bums hang around.

I can't say you guys are wrong. Anything can happen at anytime and we need to do our best to mitigate those risk. We just look at things differently and play the game in a different way. I tried the save up and pay cash game for awhile and got nowhere. Maybe I'm still nowhere though?
Makes me chuckle Lucky your last addictive statement...wondering if you're still nowhere. I see both sides of credit-debt and paying outright in cash....both are useful tools are the right moments of time (economic crisis or not). I've gotten most of my land for dimes on the dollar during foreclosures.
Anyway, Lucky...take this next statement of mine to to heart. Most of us haven't really made any money doing what we're doing. It's the preservation of wealth that's the key. You've gained equity. If you find a dollar you will put it somewhere that will pay off more in the future. Stay modular and flexible on your farm. Preserving wealth is key. Take care of things-land and hold onto them. That's the hard money of your life, paychecks are overrated. If you own land you're probably in the top 10% Lucky...as per your name.

How young are we talking? Teenagers or young adults?

If mommy and daddy have any money they have the kids emursed in youth sports, show animals, etc. They do not want, nor expect them to work. They tend to be child-centric families. Those kids are usually running around in vehicles nicer that you.

There are kids from low income families that will work but do not have the means to get to jobs outside of town. They tend to walk or catch rides to the grocery store, restaurants, fast food, etc.

For young adults, the jobs do not match cost of living. We have a hard time finding housing for teachers, cops, etc. The most basic house is out of their budget. A rental for a wore out house with fresh paint and grouchy land lord will start at $1k a month.

If you are not going to inherit land, houses, etc or live with your parents you pretty much have to move on or marry good.

We have a major problem with our local leadership. There is a major fight between sides trying to save the town from people who are out of touch.

Makes me chuckle Lucky your last addictive statement...wondering if you're still nowhere. I see both sides of credit-debt and paying outright in cash....both are useful tools are the right moments of time (economic crisis or not). I've gotten most of my land for dimes on the dollar during foreclosures.
Anyway, Lucky...take this next statement of mine to to heart. Most of us haven't really made any money doing what we're doing. It's the preservation of wealth that's the key. You've gained equity. If you find a dollar you will put it somewhere that will pay off more in the future. Stay modular and flexible on your farm. Preserving wealth is key. Take care of things-land and hold onto them. That's the hard money of your life, paychecks are overrated. If you own land you're probably in the top 10% Lucky...as per your name.
You can be land rich and cash poor. You never know what your assets are worth until you turn them into cash.

If we get into a bad economy with inflation and all, there might be some land come up for sale again by people who are way over extended.... maybe I will be able to buy a little more. I drive "junk vehicles" so I don't have a payment, and because our personal property tax is out of sight here in this county. Ain't paying the local gov't a ton of taxes because I have a newer vehicle...

If we get into a bad economy with inflation and all,
IF?
We're there now.
(well, the economy, if measured by past history is 'supposedly' booming (tho I can't figure out who for) but you can't afford to participate in it much and certainly won't be enjoying it much for the foreseeable future)

IF?
We're there now.
(well, the economy, if measured by past history is 'supposedly' booming (tho I can't figure out who for) but you can't afford to participate in it much and certainly won't be enjoying it much for the foreseeable future)
I totally agree. I'm retired and working 3 part time jobs. I'm not hungry but sure don't eat out much. Cattle getting cheaper, fuel and fertilizer higher. Not booming by my standards.

Oh, I agree that it is getting bad, but alot of people don't see past the rise in gas prices yet... I am thinking it will hit some right square in the face and then it will be sell or sink,... with no other alternatives. I am conservative enough, and hopefully prepared enough that other than the gas prices, I think that i can ride it out without suffering too much, by the way I live simply. The farm payments and all might be really bad for my son, if cattle prices tank for too long. But personally, I think that I am as set as can be under the circumstances. Our finances are separate on things like my house...and his farm... we work together but keep much of the financial separate. I am talking things like interest rates going through the roof and people having no reserves behind them to carry them through... and many people are not like many/most on here that also do things like grow a garden and can and preserve food and such. We will hurt a little but we will survive... I eat out seldom, don't even like most of the food I eat out anymore either... I have few needs and am trying to be as self sufficient as I know how and I am by no means as good at it as some I know.... I am just thinking that those that are overextended might be in a position to have to sell some land or something and maybe I will be better positioned to buy a little... and maybe just sit on my hands and not get any more in debt with another land/mortgage payment.

Latest posts