Incubating some eggs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":18a24y17 said:
dun":18a24y17 said:
Bigfoot":18a24y17 said:
I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.
You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad

I will have to do that. Thanks for the tip. It'd be a hot mess if a bad one bust in that incubator.
Hot mess is an under statement

I did the float test. Did 6 eggs. It was running about half and half on floaters and sinkers.

Bigfoot":1o6eftui said:
I did the float test. Did 6 eggs. It was running about half and half on floaters and sinkers.

Now you can take the "bad ones" and gently put it in a 1/2 pint jar cap it and shake to break it. Then use it at your own discretion , In an elevator , at church on a car trip . all you want to do is just break the seal a little then close it back real tight . You might even pull a muscle laughing so hard at peoples reactions

M-5":2gnmuccs said:
Bigfoot":2gnmuccs said:

Now you can take the "bad ones" and gently put it in a 1/2 pint jar cap it and shake to break it. Then use it at your own discretion , In an elevator , at church on a car trip . all you want to do is just break the seal a little then close it back real tight . You might even pull a muscle laughing so hard at peoples reactions

I just puked a little! :yuck: Thanks a lot M5!

This is day 20, and nothing has peeped yet. I also hear no chirping. I think they all died. I know some made it to day 10 though.

Bigfoot":3vs3assl said:
This is day 20, and nothing has peeped yet. I also hear no chirping. I think they all died. I know some made it to day 10 though.
21 days is not an exact it could be anywhere from 18 to 23 if i remember correctly (dont quote me on that though)

I have broke a few, it appears something went wrong about half way through incubation. There's 35 or so eggs left in the incubator. I'll leave them in till Friday. I might give it one more try.

If the all died at pretty much the same point it's normally a temperature anomaly, either a high temp spike or a severe chill.

One thing we use is an infrared ear thermometer to take embryo temperatures. Embryo temps should be about 100 degrees. Use your average embryo temps to adjust the temperature of your incubator.
I've only hatched chicks in a commercial hatchery, so I don't know anything about the incubator your using. We start our incubators at a set point of 100.3 and its lowered throughout the incubation until it reach 98.5 on day 20.
As the egg incubates it starts as endothermic and switches to being exothermic about day 15. This makes it easy to overheat eggs toward the end of incubation.

Might have been the wrong thing to do, but I gently removed some of the air cell end of the egg. Live chicken in there, and its day 23. The shell was shockingly hard. I haven't broke the little membrane on the chick itself. Maybe my humidity was off? I don't know. I know assisted hatching usually ends bad. Anybody can speak from experience, and offer a suggestion? Not one egg has peeped on its on. A few make movements during a float test, so some are alive.

dun":2guwwppz said:
I still think you have a termpreture problem

I got something wrong. Next time, I will try a second thermometer, and see if they say the same thing. The one that is in thee might be inaccurate.

At this stage I would crack them all and remove the membrane from their heads. Leave them in the shell but the trick here is to keep them from shrink wrapping while giving them a fighting chance. Spray water or add another vessel with water to raise the humidity. No danger in drowning since they should be breathing. Leave them another couple of hours to make sure they have absorbed the yolk, then decide if it's a good time to remove them from the shell. This process is pretty delicate because a little blood is not bad but lots of it will cause them to die. Wished I could offer more but this is my trial and error method.

slick4591":3j9jcwn9 said:
At this stage I would crack them all and remove the membrane from their heads. Leave them in the shell but the trick here is to keep them from shrink wrapping while giving them a fighting chance. Spray water or add another vessel with water to raise the humidity. No danger in drowning since they should be breathing. Leave them another couple of hours to make sure they have absorbed the yolk, then decide if it's a good time to remove them from the shell. This process is pretty delicate because a little blood is not bad but lots of it will cause them to die. Wished I could offer more but this is my trial and error method.

I will.

Peeled a little of the membrane off of that one. Appears to be an excessive amount of egg white still in there with him. It's alive though.

Day 24
Opened the air cell end of every egg. Only 7 had one in it alive. Let em set like that a good long while. Tried the assisted hatch on 3, and only one survived. Success rate was so low, I'm leaving them alone. 3 still in egg alive.

Latest posts