Incubating some eggs?

Help Support CattleToday:

The temperature fluctuations will be your biggest enemy on that incubator. Make sure it's not near an outside door and turn your eggs a couple times daily.

Bigfoot":sijwfp2h said:
slick4591":sijwfp2h said:
Does the incubator have a fan?

No sir.

In that case I recommend moving the eggs around when you turn them. Those incubators are known for hot spots. If you can rig a 2" computer fan inside it will keep the temps even throughout.

I use sharpies all the time on the eggs and have no problem with the hatchability. In fact I use a sharpie, put a circle around the middle of the egg so that the one hen I have can sit and I just take out the eggs from the other hens so she only incubates "her eggs" This is a hen that will not set anywhere but in the "big coop". Tried moving her several times and she will quit. So I just let her set where she is, mark the eggs and the day or so before they are due to start hatching, will put a piece of thin plywood in front of the box to cover about 3/4 of it so no one else can go in and she can hatch. Pain in the.... but she will hatch more eggs than anyone else. As soon as she is done I can move her into a "setting hen house" with the chicks and she is fine. But we don't use a regular magic marker, just a sharpie. Most people will use a pencil, but it will wear off and when we set multiple breedings, it can be hard to distinguish them when we move them into sections for hatching in the incubator.

Got 48 eggs in the incubator, so I guess in 21 days we'll know something.

Bigfoot":2zv4ym6n said:
Got 48 eggs in the incubator, so I guess in 21 days we'll know something.

I found my Book (so to speak) my wife reminded me I loaned the incubator to the lady at the feed store about 4 yrs ago , She has since closed down and I assume took the incubator and turner with her along with the leaflet . Oh well thought I could help.

Eggs have been in for about 9 days. Are they far enough along to be candled?

If you use the small penlight version of a maglite with a LED bulb in it it works on all but the darkest shelled eggs.

With brown eggs it takes a helluva strong light. Do you know what you are looking for? If you can see yolk it didn;t germinate, you should be bale to see blood vessels spreading out

dun":17h8skr8 said:
With brown eggs it takes a helluva strong light. Do you know what you are looking for? If you can see yolk it didn;t germinate, you should be bale to see blood vessels spreading out

My hand held spot light comes to mind, but it doesn't seem to be working tonight. I'm making the long trip to rural king a little later, I'll see what they have.

I made a candeling deal out of an oatmeal box and a lightbulb. Cut a hole in the solid end about the size f a quarter and put a light bulb inside. I had an old table lamp that I used for the lightbulb. You wuold be surprised how well it works.

slick4591":1j4934z8 said:
Curious to know if they are developing, BF?

Some definitely are. Not sure if they all are or not. Seen some definate veins running through some. Should peep middle of next week.

I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.

slick4591":3smrhu4g said:
I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.

I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.

Bigfoot":22rfqduw said:
slick4591":22rfqduw said:

I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.
You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad

dun":3io12ra4 said:
Bigfoot":3io12ra4 said:
slick4591":3io12ra4 said:

You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad

I will have to do that. Thanks for the tip. It'd be a hot mess if a bad one bust in that incubator.

Latest posts