Improving Rifle Accuracy

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
I was fishing around in Dad's safe and found a new Ruger M77 Mark II in 270. I've always liked Ruger's and am always looking for another rifle. I think I've got it traded for.

What would you do to increase or improve the accuracy of this stock rifle? Have the original trigger re-worked, buy a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger, glass bed, or float the barrel? Anything mentioned not worth doing? Anything else I could do? Don't care to spend a little money but this gun will be a hunting rifle and never near the bench.

Lastly, what is the minimum trigger pull for a hunting rifle that you guys like? Thanks

Who says it's not fine the way it is? I've always liked them to, I had one in 30-06 for a while, it was extremely accurate I thought.

If you got it traded, then what does it matter?
But in answer to your last question, I have the trigger on my .270 set at 3.5lbs. its just right for me. not sure what the minimum would be

J&D Cattle":20h8yp33 said:
I was fishing around in Dad's safe and found a new Ruger M77 Mark II in 270. I've always liked Ruger's and am always looking for another rifle. I think I've got it traded for.

What would you do to increase or improve the accuracy of this stock rifle? Have the original trigger re-worked, buy a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger, glass bed, or float the barrel? Anything mentioned not worth doing? Anything else I could do? Don't care to spend a little money but this gun will be a hunting rifle and never near the bench.

Lastly, what is the minimum trigger pull for a hunting rifle that you guys like? Thanks

I had an oldtimer tell me one time that when I asked how to make a rifle more accurate. He told me to get someone else to shoot it. With that being said I know that there are experts that will suggest ways to improve the rifle but the majority if the improvement will come from the shooter.

I would check the trigger out before changing it. But if I changed (showing my age) I would go with a Timney. Before you start screwing around with anything else you need to shoot it and see if it needs anything done. If it doean;t shoot like you want the first thing I would do is glasbed the action. How that worked out would dictate what I would do next. But the first thing is to put a quality scope on it.

I have that exact rifle and dun is correct. Bed it,and put a timney in it. If yours has the tang safety you'll be set. If it has the 3 position safety the timney needs a tiny bit of modifying to make the safety move through all 3 positions.
Once you've done those 2 things it should be a nice shooter. If you want it tighter still you could crown the barrel. After all that it won't change too much more.

I traded for it, sorry for lack of clarity.

Got a Leupold 4-12X40 for it. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Before you do anything with the gun take it out and shoot it. And shoot a couple of different brands of ammo and different weight bullets. I have seen a rifle not group with one brand of bullet and shoot lights out with another brand. If you get the yips when you going to shoot a deer don't go less than 3lb. trigger pull weight. Shooting and practicing will improve your accuracy greatly.

I had a Ruger 77 30-06, 77/22 and now a No.1 .270 and Ruger rifles have a HEAVY trigger pull from the factory...at least the older one's are that way. I would have the trigger adjusted or changed for an adjustable trigger. I like a 2-3 lb trigger pull.

Off topic a little but has anyone tried to buy Leupold scope rings for a Ruger 77 lately. I have had a hard time finding the high mounts. Finally found one set from Optic Planet but they only list one set for sale.

J&D Cattle":1zzoxfhw said:

I guess I would have to ask why you would want to invest a bunch of money in a rifle that you haven't even tried out yet. It's one thing to go broke fixing a bad situation but you don't evenknow what your situation is yet.
If it were mine i would put the very best scope on it that I could afford and go out and shoot it .

3waycross":12ccj0e7 said:
J&D Cattle":12ccj0e7 said:

I guess I would have to ask why you would want to invest a bunch of money in a rifle that you haven't even tried out yet. It's one thing to go broke fixing a bad situation but you don't evenknow what your situation is yet.
If it were mine i would put the very best scope on it that I could afford and go out and shoot it .

I've essentially got nothing in the rifle, Dad said here it is. We end up sharing all our guns and use the gun safe as the community storage spot. I'm looking to do a little tinkering to see if I can improve it's accuracy and was curious where most people start. I will shoot it first to get a control group but then want to try and improve it if I can.

Well then if that's the case here's the easy fixes

A pressure point at the end of the stock........easy and cheap use a piece of cardboard or something similar. If it helps then have your gunsmith install something permanent or you can do it yourself with some glass or JB weld

A trigger job or a new trigger. A $40 trigger job may be all you need though

Glass bed the action.

Install pillars in the action

Have the action blueprinted and install a new barrel

There it is from cheapest to most expensive however DO NOT forget that a set of Weaver style STEEL bases, a set of Burris Signature Zee rings, and a little more scope than you think you can afford is one he[[ova good start.

I have an old single barrel 12 guage that belonged to an old old friend....
he gave me that and a pistol before he died....
I don't even remember the mfg.....
but that thing has such a hair trigger that I never even pick it up....

I've heard of bolt action rifles firing when closing the bolt because the trigger was so light. Does the Mark II have an adjustable trigger? I had the local gunsmith do a trigger job on my no.1 and it's ok but does have a little travel in it. I need to buy a new trigger for it some day.

That is happening on some Remingtons especially long action 700's if you jam the max amount of shells in the magazine when you force the bolt closed it affects the sear and the rifle can fire when you release the safety.

Now before all you CT gun experts argue about this i know it because my gunsmith called me last week and told me, Where he got the info I don't know but he is a dyed in the wool Remington guy and it hurt him to have to tell me that!

I don't know much about modification, what does using glass beads do, change the vibration and limit the surface area of contact?

With all the modification, would you have more money invested than what you could just buy a high end rifle?

Is there much benefit in an adjustable muzzle break?

3waycross":267lub7x said:
That is happening on some Remingtons especially long action 700's if you jam the max amount of shells in the magazine when you force the bolt closed it affects the sear and the rifle can fire when you release the safety.

Now before all you CT gun experts argue about this i know it because my gunsmith called me last week and told me, Where he got the info I don't know but he is a dyed in the wool Remington guy and it hurt him to have to tell me that!

SIL just bought the grandson a new Remington what a piece of junk. If you bumped the stock on the floor the bolt would fall out.
Told him to take it back and get a Ruger American for the boy. Remington had a piece of pot metal that locked the bolt in.
After seeing the grandsons and how sorry it was, I was talking to the guy at the local gun shop and he said they wouldn't even sell them.
This was an entry level rifle 770 or something like that again pure junk still trying to sell their name I guess.

Commercialfarmer":3uufh5hh said:
I don't know much about modification, what does using glass beads do, change the vibration and limit the surface area of contact?

With all the modification, would you have more money invested than what you could just buy a high end rifle?

Is there much benefit in an adjustable muzzle break?
glass bed, figerglas resin to make solid surface that confroms tightly to the action (costs about 10 bucks for enough to do a dozen rifles)

An adjustable muzzlebreak changes the barrle harmonics. Somtimes helps sometimes not

Latest posts