Implant show steer

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
Our show steer, home raised is a shorthorn-beefmaster cross. He is 11 months. He weighs 820. His parents were not huge. This calf doesn't eat well when by himself so he and 2 heifers are being fed together. *if alone he will eat about 6 pounds at a time and walk off. They are getting 25 pounds of show developer feed and 10 pounds of 16% high gain pellets twice a day. So 70 pounds total between the three. One heifer is as fat as we want. The younger heifer is getting there. Steer is growing but not fat enough. We have a younger bull calf we are going to steer probably next week. We plan to put this calf with the steer and pen them separately. I plan to reduce the amount the heifers are getting to slow their fattening to prepare to get them bred. But for the 2 steers, I'm considering implanting them. I'm not sure which one to use, how often to redo or if this should be a one and done. The plan is to show this steer next month. Grow him over the summer. Show him in sept and oct. Then put him in the freezer. The younger calf will get shown in the fall then either sold to keep showing or be fed out longer then go to the freezer. The younger one is a Chiangus plus commercial. That calf was born late july. Mom died in August. I put him on my Jersey cow 100 days. He is long weaned. He eats 6 pounds of high gain with 2 pounds show feed a day now. He would eat much more if given the opportunity. We have also given them some alfalfa the last few weeks and plan to continue the alfalfa. They always have a round bale of grass hay. What implant should I use? What result can i expect? Should i worry about eating him after implanting him? Is there a withdrawal time?

Not sure how an implant will affect them to show. Commercially there are a ton of options. We implant 450-500lb see a with Encore (400 day) and don't have to reimplant. Compudose (200 day) would be a good fit for the size of are a you have. Synovex Plus or Choice are both "hot" finishing implants.
I know one guy how finished a Char are for a rate of gain class. He used Synovex S (120 day) every 90days. That particular are gained over five pounds a day!

Well I wouldn't worry about eating him if implanted. Every calf that comes out the feed yards is implanted unless its for the non hormone crowd. Read the labels as always for proper use. They are on line for most all products.

Latest posts