Impact wrench

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Hey all need to buy an impact wrench, I will be using it to take off and put on bush hog blades and disc harrow blades among other chores. I was wondering if the electric models are ok or should I stick to those that run with an air compressor. Also name some good brands and the ones to stay away from. Thanks.

The good cordless ones are real nice, and strong. I would not have paid the price for it, it was a Christmas present. Nothing less than a 3/4 inch drive air operated would do what you want. A 1 inch would be better for those jobs.

I second turk's statement. If you get a pneumatic get a Chicago Pneumatic. They make pretty good air tools. You'll pay for it but it'll be around for a looong time.

I have an electric one and a couple of CP's. The electric is OK for light duty work but when you need to bust off a nut on a 1" bolt that electric one just ain't gonna do it.

I tried 2 Mikitas and they fell apart within a half hour. For air I have a Sears Craftsman that I got at an auction for 2 bucks. It;s only 3/8 but I put adapters on it and run 3/4 drive sockets. The biggest is 1 1/16 for the buck hog blades. Hasn;t missed a beat yet. But I've only had it 9-10 years.

turklilley":e97x1xqk said:
The good cordless ones are real nice, and strong. I would not have paid the price for it, it was a Christmas present. Nothing less than a 3/4 inch drive air operated would do what you want. A 1 inch would be better for those jobs.

Captain overkill have you ever run a 3/4 or 1" impact? It's not a one handed gun for sure. Only time i have ever need them are for the lug nuts on class 7 or 8 trucks and the tips on big tub grinder mill. I have a 1/2" blue point it's done everything I asked of it. If I were to buy another I would buy the IR or matco with the polymer case. They weigh half what a normal impact weighs. I would buy a pneumatic gun. A cordless is nice but if you dont use it much the battery will always be dead when you really need it the most. Look around the pawn shops and if you see the snap on/Matco truck ask him if he's got any used guns. Some times you will get lucky and score a deal on a repo.
Randy

3/4 or 1 is way to big for everyday use. most can't afford to buy it and just leave it laying around most of the time. get a good twin hammer 1/2 that has a reverse torque or around 1000 ft lbs. lots to choose from. On stubborn nuts like bush hog blades you normally have to heat them up with a torch first anyway to expand them and get them off. same with the bolts, they are usually rusted in. only way to get out is heat up the housing and knock them out with sledge. If you can't afford an impact get a 3/4 drive ratchet set. Use the breaker bar and put a 5 to 8' cheater on it. now if you weigh 200lbs and use a 5' cheater you have 1000ftlbs of force with the 8' you have 1600ftlbs of force. with a cheater and by heating up the nuts you can easily get them off.

all "real farmer" have oxy/fuel rigs. If you don't now is the time to buy one

Unknown burglars stole 35 sets of 20 inch wheels off pickups and Yukons at the Buick dealership in Rockwall, Tx. Saturday night. You need an impact wrench like they had.

I was really impressed the first time I used a cordless impact. I used a Milwaukee 1/2 drive and it blew away every impact I've ever used.

I have an old Snap On electric and an old Craftsmen electric. Both came from pawn shops. Both are exactly the same. Both are as good as any air impact I have ever used. 1/2 in. that is.

Electric impacts are okay for small stuff but they dont have the torque of air impact wrenches. More important than the brand look at the cfms of air flow. This will tell you how much air it will take to run the impact properly. That being said the better brands like Ingersal, Chicago, Snap On, and Mac Tools use less air and will work better with smaller compressors. A 1/2" drive is enough for most things around the farm to me.

Have a Dewalt cordless 1/2 drive and it is great. I hardly ever use my air impact anymore. I also have a DeWalt 110v impact that is stronger then the cordless.

gertman":18l9xhf2 said:
Hey all need to buy an impact wrench, I will be using it to take off and put on bush hog blades and disc harrow blades among other chores. I was wondering if the electric models are ok or should I stick to those that run with an air compressor. Also name some good brands and the ones to stay away from. Thanks.

I am also looking for a new impact wrench but I am not sure which one I should take. I also thought about choosing one that runs with an air compressor. If I choose this option I must first look for a new air compressor because I do not have one. Until now I always used air-compressor rentals and I think if I buy an impact wrench which runs with an air compressor it would be better to own one. I am glad that I found this thread here because your posts and tips help me a lot.

For heavy work a 3/4" or 1"pneumatic is hard to beat. Keep in mind you will need a good compressor with a large tank for extended use. Also for 3/4" and larger impacts a standard 3/8" hose is inadequate, 1/2" hose and fittings makes a world of difference. I use Ingersoll-Rand. I feel they are the best for the $$. Snap-on are better but I'm too poor for them.

High Cotton":2k1jdep0 said:
turklilley":2k1jdep0 said:

Captain overkill have you ever run a 3/4 or 1" impact? It's not a one handed gun for sure.

I've used the 1.5" and bigger air impacts at work quite a bit, and those are one handed guns. In fact I'd rather run a 1.5" gun than a 1/2", the larger is more of a slow shove and the little gun seems to just rattle your guts.

This is one of the small ones where I work:
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Product.aspx-am_en-33551

Latest posts