I'm pretty seriously pyssed, and it's about the river.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Once a year, there is some sort of loosely-organized via FB EPIC FLOAT on the Yakima RIver. This year, 4,500+ people putting into the Yakima River just south of Cle Elum on a narrow state hwy. bridge . . . Well, they all want to get in at the bridge, but backed up for along ways. We went through on our way to a BBQ at about 11:30 AM today in 1st and 2nd gear -- People and cars and float equipment in the road, garbage already accumulating on the road. State troopers and County mounties just starting to arrive. The organizers had nothing set up for crowd control or parking. Some guy was across the white line into the road when I went through; did a big stretch with his arms and got whacked by my side mirror on the Dodge, but he wasn't jumping and screaming after I went through -- he did move off the road, though. Wished 2 or 3 more would've been that stupid. There is trash for 15 miles or more down the river now. They are asking for volunteers to pick up the trash. County will pay for extra law enforcement, and as citations and violations come in (ya think there was any beer or MJ there?), we'll also pick up the court costs and public defender costs. Argghhhhhh. Am I just to old to understand?

Stuff like that irritates me too.
Most of the time that type of person claims to be green and is a tree hugger, yet they are the worst about defiling the environment. It is their right, someone else will clean it up.

We have bicyclists here that act like that.

We will have several hundred a--holes on bicycles here this week maybe I'll send you a few of them to mix with your a--holes in boats.

3waycross":1vy0vbhu said:
We will have several hundred a--holes on bicycles here this week maybe I'll send you a few of them to mix with your a--holes in boats.

I was thinking about the 13,000 or so bikes we get through here one weekend a year, they did it already this summer. But at least those a--holes don't have room in their spandex to litter much if any. One 20 somthing biker did make it a weekend to remember this year. I travel a narrow road that parallels the hwy for a few miles, joining the hwy at several points. While driving this side road I noticed a young lady on her bike holding a second bike up. I slowed down because of the narrow road, the young lady had deer in the headlight eyes going, looking at me and then looking toward the brush on the side of the road. Yup, as I went by slowly up pops a 20 somthing young lady, her spandex shorts down below her knees. At first she went to pull up her shorts, but just stood up looked at me and shrugged her shoulders, then squatted back down to finish her business ...... I just smiled and gave them a nod. A good looking athletic young women butt naked from the waste down, well shorts below the knees naked, standing there looking at me with a smile and a shrug of her shoulders ...... Yea that will burn a image in your mind for a day or two. :lol:

When mother nature calls, you can't ignore it!

Around here we have lots of do-gooders too, One fellow in particular was taken on a rafting trip down the fraser "to raise awareness for the salmon".. it cost about $10,000 per person (there was a boat-load of them), and this was paid for by yours truly. Not only that, but now he probably has this do-good act on his resume so he can get MORE grants to do more of the same for the rest of his life.

Nesikep":9x5hrmzf said:
When mother nature calls, you can't ignore it!

Around here we have lots of do-gooders too, One fellow in particular was taken on a rafting trip down the fraser "to raise awareness for the salmon".. it cost about $10,000 per person (there was a boat-load of them), and this was paid for by yours truly. Not only that, but now he probably has this do-good act on his resume so he can get MORE grants to do more of the same for the rest of his life.
I had a natural reaction to Alan's post.

Oh, yeah, we get the bike-riders, too, on narrow 2-lane winding roads. Crawl behind them for a mile, or whatever it takes to safely pass them -- then they get a blast of diesel smoke on my way around.

That is the price that you / we pay for living too close to the city. Those urban people can't just go do something they enjoy by themselves. They have to make it an event and bring 10,000 of their closest friends along.

Dave":3ozdy0ts said:
That is the price that you / we pay for living too close to the city. Those urban people can't just go do something they enjoy by themselves. They have to make it an event and bring 10,000 of their closest friends along.
I was thinking something similar. I bet the places I used to fish are now full of houses and you probably can;t find any water in the sound to fish without being irritated by some idiot.

Dave":37sufqlu said:
That is the price that you / we pay for living too close to the city.

Problem is, some of us didn't start out all that close to "the city", the "city" seems to be coming too close to us -----and at a high rate of speed at that!

Workinonit Farm":v74lhmym said:
Dave":v74lhmym said:
That is the price that you / we pay for living too close to the city.

Problem is, some of us didn't start out all that close to "the city", the "city" seems to be coming too close to us -----and at a high rate of speed at that!

Same thing has happened here. When I was in college a couple of my neighbors were from just a few miles from where Kathie now lives. People from the city would rarely go there. It was nothing but farms Now there are people who live there and commute to the city every day. When I first moved to where I live you could walk down the middle of the main street as there were very few cars. Now it is difficult to pull out on the road with a car because of all the traffic. There is about three times as many people in this state as there was in the 50's and 60's. And the number of them that go into outdoors to hike, boat, camp, etc has grown even faster.

As if the pool hall across the road wasn't enough, now
some guy from NO bought some land across the road from our place.
He has built a good sized house in what was a pasture. Obviously the house cost a lot of money.
The house, I don't mean the trim, but the house is sort of a cross between pink and red. It really stands out.

I never thought I would see the day. :help:

Ryder":23w2mtyo said:
He has built a good sized house in what was a pasture. Obviously the house cost a lot of money.
The house, I don't mean the trim, but the house is sort of a cross between pink and red. It really stands out.

Does it attract 4,500 people to your neighborhood for a weekend? If not, quit bytchin. We have west side people putting up all those kind of places -- we have the ideal spot, 100 miles E. of Seattle and high-tech industry young millionaires.

Kathie in Thorp":32syf3fk said:
Ryder":32syf3fk said:

Does it attract 4,500 people to your neighborhood for a weekend? If not, quit bytchin. We have west side people putting up all those kind of places -- we have the ideal spot, 100 miles E. of Seattle and high-tech industry young millionaires.

Those dammm west siders! :mrgreen: Kathie we have the STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride, 13,000 riders in two days. The hood to coast bike ride, several more thousand and the hood to coast relay, which may be the worse of the all with all the mini vans driving slowly to give their walkers support and encouragement. :mad: . After a while one gets smart enough to avoid those routes for one weekend.

Kathie in Thorp":2ry3zm0j said:
Ryder":2ry3zm0j said:

That seems kinda harsh. :???:
Seems like he's entitled to be just as po'd about a pool hall and a pink house (I'm okay with red, but would have to firebomb pink :mrgreen: )
You could look on the bright side....floaters=once a year....pool hall=every weekend

Latest posts